Thread: Panic Attacks are Back!

Panic Attacks are Back!

Hi
    I had my first panic attack a little over 4 years ago. My work environment was really toxic and all the negatvity finally just got the best of me. At the time the feeling combined with this pain I had around my shoulder area had me convinced I was having a heart attack. I wnet to hospital where they ensured me I was not dying. They did not tell me I was having panic attacks that happened 10 days later after finally getting an appointment with my GP.

I quit the organization and went on medication for depression/anxiety. I managed to pull myself together and things have been going fairly well with regards to my mental health. I can recognise what triggers my anxiety and have managed not to have panic attacks.

Last summer I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The diagnosis and lack of support created a lot of anxiety in me. I managed to get the diabetes under control but it has triggered a lot of issues regarding my mortality. Combined with this, I returned to school at 40, sold my home and presently renovating another one.

2 weeks ago I had a major panic attack in the car park of a lighting store. My partner got me home and a I took a small dosage of clonazepam. Since then I've had what I feel are the beginnings of panic attacks. My anxiety levels are very high and that pain my shoulder has returned. I've convinced myself I am having a heart attack (a two week long one apparently). Although I "know" this is not true and have evidence that it is not (I run 3 times a week) I cannot get it out of my head. Consequently anytime the pain intensifies and/or it refers along my left arm/chest area I assume that I going to have a heart attack. Naturally this causes me to feel more anxiety. The cyclical nature of the whole situation is very frustrating.

Lately, I find the only thing that seems to calm me down is a a few glasses of wine before dinner. It's a bad habit I broke after the diabetes diagnosis. I woke up last night in a mini panic thinking about what terrible things this was doing to my body. I see managing to get the diabetes under control as a major reprieve and I am scared I am going to lose this opportunity (more anxiety/panic).

So that is who I am and where I am at at this point in my life. I look forward to hearing other people's concerns and hope I can be of assistance.

Regards
    D

Re: Panic Attacks are Back!

Hi I am sure you will find lots of support here.

Thread Information