Thread: Survived a panic attack in a public place.

Survived a panic attack in a public place.

So this evening one of my nightmares came true - panic on the train

I only have a 25 minute commute to work on the train but I'm hoping to move house this year and that will involve doubling my commuting time. One thing that's always terrified me is what if I get sick on the train?!

This evening I was sat there in a carriage packed with commuters. I've got a cold at the moment and I'm very chesty. Suddenly I got one of those awful catarrhy sensations in my throat where you can't quite swallow, just as the train was about the leave.

The instant I heard the doors beep and lock it was almost like a switch flicking and the catarrh attack turned into a panic attack. Couldn't breathe - seriously couldn't get air into my lungs, heart going crazy, hot flush (i must have looked like a tomato as people were looking at me), head pounding.

First thought was to get up and stagger to the loo and lock myself in but I thought no I've got to survive it and bring it down. I found a bottle of water and some sweets in my bag and decided to concentrate on drinking a mouthful and sucking a sweet. I kind of thought my life depends on that sweet - if I can taste it I'm still alive and if I concentrate on it I'll get away from the panic.

And it worked. OMG. I managed to get through the first station and resist the temptation to get off in a village I don't know just to escape. Made it all the way home.

Yay

Re: Survived a panic attack in a public place.

Congratulations! Well done!
    You overcame the panic which is a big thing in public places!
    You should be very proud of yourself!

Well done!! I admire you for even getting on a packed commuter train, I use the sweets thing as well and am never without chewing gum as this gives me something to concentrate on when I am driving .

To be honest I only get the train cos the drive is even worse - on this rural road in the middle of nowhere . If ever I have to drive on it I'm clinging to the wheel, praying - esp at night. The place I want to move to is a city (a small one) so I've kind of thought to myself I must become fine with the train, I must conquer the train.

Well done - we all fear the panic in a public place - you did so well

That really is incredible!! I know how much courage that takes to not try and run from the fear!! That plays such a huge part in recovery too! To know that you can get on that train again now and you know if the worst thing does happen... it really doesn't matter that much!!!

Take time to reflect how incredibly well you did today and give yourself a big pat on the back from me!

Steven x

Quote Originally Posted by rb1978 View Post

I only have a 25 minute commute to work on the train but I'm hoping to move house this year and that will involve doubling my commuting time. One thing that's always terrified me is what if I get sick on the train?!

This evening I was sat there in a carriage packed with commuters. I've got a cold at the moment and I'm very chesty. Suddenly I got one of those awful catarrhy sensations in my throat where you can't quite swallow, just as the train was about the leave.

The instant I heard the doors beep and lock it was almost like a switch flicking and the catarrh attack turned into a panic attack. Couldn't breathe - seriously couldn't get air into my lungs, heart going crazy, hot flush (i must have looked like a tomato as people were looking at me), head pounding.

First thought was to get up and stagger to the loo and lock myself in but I thought no I've got to survive it and bring it down. I found a bottle of water and some sweets in my bag and decided to concentrate on drinking a mouthful and sucking a sweet. I kind of thought my life depends on that sweet - if I can taste it I'm still alive and if I concentrate on it I'll get away from the panic.

And it worked. OMG. I managed to get through the first station and resist the temptation to get off in a village I don't know just to escape. Made it all the way home.

Yay
    Hi! This is amazing news and real progress! I'm thrilled for you! Be proud of your achievement and remember how much strength you have when you have any future wobbles. This will see you through them. Very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by rb1978 View Post

Yay
    Hi well done in getting through this,sucking on a sweet seems to be a help i've got a simular problem coming,on Saturday I'm travelling by coach to London.x

things happen for a reason,but we do not always agree.

medication im on
    Doxazosin,bendroflumethiazide for blood pressure.
    levothyroxine,for thyoids.
    pregabalin, for panic/depression. Fibromyalgia
    amitriptyline,for rheumatoid arthritis in feet.

WELL DONE YOU!!!

Fantastic news and a great breakthrough for you, pats on the back and hugs all round!

Thread Information