Thread: irregular periods, perimenopause?

irregular periods, perimenopause?

Hi, i'm 46 and for the past 2 years my periods have been a bit erratic.
    I used to be very regular. It started with them being 2 weeks late now and again until i went through a few months of interne anxiety, and i did'nt have a period for about 3 months. Since then i've never got back into a regular routine.

My last period was about 6/7 weeks ago, that one was 2 weeks after the previoua one. For the last 6 days i've had some brown blood when waiting, on and off. Yesterday it turned a little more and i thought my period was gonna start but it went back to brown again.

I've been getting cramping pains but no full period. Trying not to let my mind wander but not easy. Has Anyone else experiences this and could it be the peri menopause

Thanks for any replies

---------- Post added at 09:59 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Sorry for the errors, using my phone

Re: irregular periods, perimenopause?

Hi Rainbow,

I'm going through the same thing. I'm 38. I came off the pill a year ago and my periods were like clockwork for the first 9 months. Then I was 2 weeks late for one and when it came I only had little bits of brown blood for a couple of days. I then missed one totally but had odd days throughout that month with brown spotting. It is now 41 days since my last period. I don't know what to think. I don't think it can be down to the pill as its a year since I stopped it and I had normal periods for 9 months after stopping. I'm thinking the same as you that i may be peri menopausal or am I too young.

It'll be interesting read if others have had similar experiences.

I'm presently going through the same thing, my periods are heavier and lasting up to 21 days not always bleeding but brown discharge too. This period was 2 weeks late and I was told I had fibroids last week. Been to my drs this morning and she wants to take blood to check as she said the fibroids can cause heavier bleeding but not irregular bleeding so just have to wait which I'm not very good at I always think the worse. I'm 44 btw and she did say it could be perimenopause. Hope you both get some answers.

Thanks for your replies

Bernie - have you been to your gp? I'm really not sure if you're too young for perimenopause or not. Maybe just a hormonal thing with you? Have you done a pg test at all? Maybe I should do One but its pretty unlikely. Are you getting any cramping pairs?
    Purple - how were you diagnosed with fibroids, is that something you've always had?

I had a scan last Thursday purely for the prolonged bleeding, that's when they discovered I had fibroids. As I said I was 2 weeks late for this period which has never ever happened to me before since I started my period in my teens.

Hi Rainbow,

No I haven't told the Doctor about all this. I can't get to surgery as I'm agoraphobic and when I ring the receptionists make me feel so bad for wanting a home visit or a phone call from the Doctor. I'm also sick of them asking me questions when it's none of their business and they're medically qualified.

I will have to ring as I'm getting worried. I don't get cramps or anything to make me think a period is on its way. there's no way I could be pregnant so I don't have a clue what's going on.

I am experiencing the same thing. I am 43 and have had brown discharge a week before my period. Every 3rd or 4th cycle I have heavy bleeding with lots of clots. Am booking my yearly pap smear this month so will hopefully have some answers. Am kind of freaking out with worry but reassuring myself with all of your comments. Thanks.

Thread Information