Thread: Could somebody help to make sense of this pls?

Could somebody help to make sense of this pls?

I've been having panic attacks from December and recently they are more frequent especially when travelling to work in the train. It's come to a point whereby I have to get off random stations at times when the train becomes even a tiny bit crowded.Me and husband booked a trip to Paris during the Easter weekend and planning to take the Eurostar. I do not want to spoil the trip for him by cancelling it...but the thought of going into a tunnel makes me physically sick..I've been commuting for ages and never had any issues nut now everyday seems like a battle..has anyone experienced this before?

Re: Could somebody help to make sense of this pls?

I have this issue with driving my car. In October 2012, I had my very first panic attack while I was driving. I used to drive everywhere and was really confident. I think I have driven 3 times since October, and on each occasion I had to pull over due to rising panic.

I am not too bad on trains or buses, so I guess it is some sort of association.

I am going to try driving again a bit more and face the fear. Hope you get through this as anxiety is desperately restrictive if you allow it to prevent you doing daily routine stuff.

Charlie

I personally find it difficult due to thoughts of being trapped or feeling far from help. There is also an element of having to contain the anxious feelings more in restricted public places. These combine to makes the sense of being enclosed more 'real' for me. It isn't just an internal psychological subjective experience as I can objectively see the closed doors, the crowds of people or the traffic queues ahead. This makes the experience of panic somewhat more intense than say if one was experiencing it at home and could thus lie down in a familiar space.
    I think these are some of the additional contexts that can make this type of panic very distressing.

I had a whopper of a panic attack on a train last year. I ended up doing the worst thing and got off at the nearest station and then calling my husband to come get me. I used to love train journeys!
    We are planning trip to France soon. The whole trip on the eurotunnel last 30 mins and the under sea bit is 20 mins. I plan to take some significant amounts diazepam, put earphones in and close my eyes! If that doesn't work and I panic I figure I can cope with 20/30 mins x x

Thread Information