Thread: Bowel cancer fear at 29

Bowel cancer fear at 29

Years ago I was unaware of bowel cancer, years ago I did not google symptoms. The only thing I did was the odd reminder how to do self testicle exams.

Even though I been told by the doctors I have IBS (do I believe them) unsure maybe I should trust doctors more than going back to visit the old enemy of Dr Google who gets things nearly always wrong.

We don't have any family history, my Dad had to do his poo sample last year because he reach the age for testing. I got told off by mum where I was reading the information sheet which came with it.

The thought of bowel cancer does still worry me, checking how my stools look. can I see any blood, worried about my abdominal pains (maybe down to what I eat and drink) a little bit too much soda and sweets.

I did push for an ultrasound to reassurance me, even though it took three doctors to referal me, a blood test (no idea what there were testing for), rectal exam and abdominal felt when I been to the doctors over the last few times.

Even though I have not had MRI scans for a long time, CT scan, being put forward for a possible colonscopy etc done I am still a bit a nervous wreak.

Re: Bowel cancer fear at 29

The tests that you have done would have shown any abnormalities so I am sure your doctor is right in diagnosing you with ibs.

Many thanks, my dad's results came back fine and did not show any signs of any signs of concerns. The concern started for me about bowel cancer started with the advert which was shown on television last year and the advert in our local paper and the ad boards on the buses about possible symptoms (so hard to avoid the adverts) but one thing I can do is stay of Dr Google to make me feel worst.

My mum also has IBS in the past when she was about the same age as me.

I know what you mean about the adverts. A few months ago I was at the doctors and when I went in to see he asked how I was and I said "well actually I was feeling a lot better until I sat in the waiting room and read all the posters!" He told me he would take them down and the next time I went they had gone!

Bowel cancer isn't a concern if you're under 50 and don't have a family history of it. I'm glad we don't have ads like that because that would freak me out too! I am worried about bowel cancer because I have had blood in my stool for about 6 years, but the doctors aren't even worried about that, so you'll be just fine.

When I had lots of blood, it turned out to be colitis. Not much fun, but better than bowel cancer!

Thread Information