Thread: panic attack on way to shop

panic attack on way to shop

I've just had a panic attack, thought i was gonna pass out because i was hyperventilating so badly. All i had to do was go to the shop but as soon as i left my flat my anxiety was sky high. I managed to get nearly there but as soon as i saw the shop i completely freaked out and had a panic attack. Luckily my best friend was with me and helped get me home, but i'm even anxious around him, infact anyone :(. Why can't i do the things that others find so easy?? I'm even starting to resent people who can do these things. It had been two weeks since my last attack and i really thought i was on my way to getting better but now i feel like i'm right back at square one. I'm just so fed up and frustrated with being like this.

Zoe x

To be pushed is unwillingness, to push yourself is courage

hi zoe,
    sorry to hear you panicked, its not easy is it, life i mean. the most simpliest thing and we just cant do it. im the same, cant even leave my gate without panic, im practising though, not that im enjoying it. Dont give up zoe, its hard i know, but were stronger and even more stronger when we fight it every time.
    Becci x

you are not alone, i had a panic attack at the shops the other day too, its really scarey and i was on my own. you will get through this and we will get better. it is so hard not being able to do the simplest things, and i do envy people who can just do what they want without thinking about it. im always here if you need to talk, and i know what you are going through.

big hugs

mandy xxx

positive attitude brings positive results

We all identify with you here - I think the trick is try and start each day fresh and refuse to dwell on the little blips.

As regards the feeling of not being comfortable even around your friend, I find this is helped by telling them about the panic (which you obviously did in this case) but also with spending more time with them.

If I think about it the people I am around the most (family mainly) are my most trusted people. As a general rule the more we are around people the more we begin to relax and trust them too.

This is the principle really that improves anxiety fullstop - gentle but consistent exposure to things and situations that presently cause us fear!

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Thank you for your replies, it really helps knowing that others can relate to what i'm going through as i have found suffering from anxiety very lonely.
    I've really got to try and not beat myself up when i do have a blip as that will only make me worse, but its hard, i've always been down on myself.
    I'm going to try and spend more time with my friends like you suggested piglet, i have a bad habit of isolating myself when things get bad which only escalates the situation.

Zoe xx

To be pushed is unwillingness, to push yourself is courage

Yes hun this is exactly what I do too.

I am trying this year though to pay particualar attention to it!

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Zoe,

Don't run before you can walk. Forget the shop - aim to get outside and a few doors down and just stand there and maybe chat to your friend until the anxiety within you drops a few notches and then either proceed or congratulate yourlsfe on what you have done and then do it again the next day until that journey is easier and then lengthen it a bit..

For hyperventilation , cup your hands round your mouth and breathe through them for a couple of minutes and it will settle you down .

How Do You Do The Breathing
    Breathing.. wow
    Breathing Techniques
    CONTROLLED BREATHING
    Working to get better, have a few Q's to ask...
    Insatiable Mouth / Chest Breather????

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

Thread Information