Thread: Me Vs Citalopram

Me Vs Citalopram

I have been taking Citalopram for 5 weeks now. I still dream but this does not bother me anymore. For the past week I have been having difficulty sleeping, like an acute insomnia, waking after 2 to 3 hrs of sleep, even when I am asleep I do not fell rested when I awake. Is it me or a cause of the Citalopram?

I want to come off this drug but I have been told I will need to do this slowly. Has anyone else done this?

Happy belated Easter everyone!

Re: Me Vs Citalopram

Is this the only reason you want to come off them as it may just be side effects still that will wear off

Hi, Im just going into week 5 and I am going through the insomnia bit at the moment. I was taking the pill in the evening but have switched it to the morning and that has been a bit better but like you i get short bursts of sleep and feel so tired in the morning but cannot fall back to sleep. I am hoping this will settle down as with the other side effects (nausea, anxiety, dizziness) they have improved as the weeks have gone on. I would suggest stick with it as you have come so far. Good luck

I think I was expecting after 5 weeks near 6 now that the insomnia would wear off and the intermittent bouts of anxiety. The irony here is that My GP commenced me on citalopram due to anxiety and insomnia.

Hi, I used to get this when I first started on cit, but it was due to acute, paralysing anxiety which was a side effect. It wasn't until about week 3 on cit when I started gradually being able to sleep longer without such horrible anxiety attacks. I do recall that I didn't sleep as well on cit afterwards compared to how well I sleep on mirtazapine. Even though side effects can come and go in the early months, I would suggest you make up a relaxing and reassuring mix of mp3s. Include postive affirmations, where you record yourself stating over and over that it's good and safe to sleep, that you are allowing yourself to relax and sleep peacefully through the night. Gradually your subconscious gets the message, then it's bye bye sleep problems.

If the insomnia persists or gets worse see your doctor for advice - but I am willing to bet real money that this is just the citalopram.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I've taken Citalopram 3 times and it always made me miles more anxious at first and where I couldn't sleep too, I was prescribed sleeping pills for a while until the side effects wore off but I got 100% well again all 3 times. I suffer with GAD and panic attacks....hope you feel so much better soon and if you can stick with the side effects they will pass as every one has said, all the best hugs Karen xx

Hi,
    I will be hitting week 5 on Thursday and I also have been experiencing the insomnia which has been bothering me.
    I only sleep in short bouts like you. But it seems like in the day time I can sleep ok. I have tried to take the pill at night and in the morning but it makes no difference. I wake up after 3 hours of sleep and then like every hour I wake up.
    This morning I was even thinking to weaning myself off to 10mg a day, but I am not sure if this will be good. Honestly, I am 36 and I have taken Citalopram before in my life but only for 1 year after a really intense episode that lasted 2 months but sometimes I wonder if I would have gotten better without the Citalopram by praticing CBT. This relapse has also been intense and had lasted 24 days before I started Citalopram. I have now been on the medicine 5 weeks and I wonder if I would have gotten better without it... I don't know. My Psychlogist keeps telling me that the cure is within me...

Also on week 5 of Citralopram and am also sleeping for only 3-4 hours and then I wake up and find it hard to get back to sleep and if I do I wake up loads of time. Feel tired first thing in the morning but ok as the day goes on. The other side effects are almost gone so I am hoping that this sleeping problem clears up too.....

Spot: Yea, that's exactly how I am now. The insomnia is what's left.
    I also still feel anxious but less and it seems more manageable.
    Do you still feel anxious? I ended up taking my 20mg today instead of reducing to 10mg. I guess one more day won't hurt and that's what I have been saying for the last 5 weeks...

Thread Information