Thread: worrying about anxiety symptoms

worrying about anxiety symptoms

Hi

Does worrying all the time about a particular symptom of anxiety keep that symptom going. I probably already know the answer to this but just want some reassurance. At the moment i am worrying about my symptoms from the minute i get up to the minute i go to bed which can't be good. Can you bring a symptom on just by getting in worked up thinking about it and if your terrified will it keep it going. Sometimes i feel awful for hours. I think in the end your body just wears itself out and the panic just stops because it can't keep it up any longer. Sometimes its like flicking a switch and everthing just calms down. Anyone else like this ?

Love Rosebudxxx

It's rather a double edged sword ths one - does the thought or anxiety bring on the symptom or does the symptom cause the thought and anxiety?

I think it is a mixture of both. A stressed body will eventually start to manifest aches and pains quite naturally - aching arms, legs, tight chest, headaches - you name it. However, with me the manifestation of the symptom causes me to start fretting and then the resultant anxiety exacerbates the physical symptoms.

When I get like this, I try and practice cognitive thinking - working out rationally why I have the physical symptom (i.e. my arms and chest are painful today - probably due to all that lifting / typing I did earlier; that headache could be due to the fact that I sat bent over a desk reading for hours on end, resulting in stiff shoulders and neck which caused the headache).

Admittedly when I was first diagnosed I used to completely freak out over every little physical niggle. Nowadays I am not so quick to panick.

Read some of Claire Weekes' books (Self Help for Your Nerves- very good explanations of the physical symptoms caused by anxiety). Try not to get too anxious about every ache and pain.

Hi

Thanks for your thoughts dorabella.

Love Rosebudxxx

i find the more i worry about a symptom the worse the symptoms get then i'm in a vicious circle

i've tried distraction but doesnt always work

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

Hi Netty

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes i can distract myself other times i can't. I think it depends what mood i'me in. If i'me having a fairly good day i can just shake it off. Other times i just go to pieces.

Love rosebudxxx

Hi Rosebud

I think you're right about distraction. I do this and sometimes it works, if I get it early enough and I've slept ok really helps. Other times though it keeps reminding me its there. I'll be occupied for a while at work and forget about it, then I get sign of the symptom again. I can sometimes tell myself then "see, its not really there, only when u think about it. If it was real it would be there all the time".

Its frustrating though isnt it.

Lisa.

Thread Information