Thread: Switched from sertraline to mirtazapine

Switched from sertraline to mirtazapine

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'll try to keep this brief.

I was first prescribed citalopram for generalised anxiety with panic attacks when I was 19 (2008).

After a while, it lost its efficacy and I was switched to escitalopram (2010).

About a year ago, I was switched to sertraline which helped intially but then actually made my anxiety worse (usually at a certain time - 3pm and 6pm).

Recently (last week) I was switched from sertraline (100 mg) to mirtazapine (15 mg). The mirtazapine worked great at first, even if only for the fact it made me dopey. Unfortunately, things are getting worse in terms of anxiety.

What I would like to know is if this is just the initial phase of my body adjusting to a new medication and the removal of an old one, or if I need to think about changing again. I'm getting this electric shock sensations in my body, which apparently is ssri withdrawal related.

Its getting a bit ridiculous. I can't eat with my family, I can't even have a cup of decaf in public for fear of having a wave of anxiety and feeling like I might pass out/die. I just feel like my life is becoming difficult to live.

I am seeing my doctor on thursday, but I would greatly appreciate your insights. Thank-you.

Re: Switched from sertraline to mirtazapine

Probably a mixture of the two, withdrawal and start up side effects, could be a good idea to ask your GP to increase the Mirtazapine and see if that helps more with your anxiety.
    I take Mirtazapine and if was not effective for me at a low dose, I am on the maximum dosage of 45mg. The next step for you would probably be 30mg. They usually increase it by 15mg each time until you reach the maximum dose.

BobbyDog

Thanks for the reply BobbyDog, I'll be sure to suggest it and see what the doc thinks.

I have been on anti depressant and anxiety drugs for 30 odd years and I can honestly say Mirtazipine is the best one I have ever been on.I started on 15mg a day, then gradually increased to 45mg.The only reason I came off it was because of the weight gain,I put on nearly three stone!!If you can afford to put weight on,then carry on with it as it is brilliant.I have recently withdrawn off Imipramine and gone on to Sertraline & Amitryptaline,this ws over six weeks ago and I am still having withdrawal and side effects,mainly headaches,diarrohea and shaking,but feeling better in myself.From personal experience i think it takes a good two months for the syptoms of both to ease off.Good luck with the Mirtazipine,I know a couple of people that have taken them,and they say they're brilliant.x

Thread Information