Thread: Struggling....so here I am!

Struggling....so here I am!

Hi everyone,

My name is Ellie, and I came across this website in a complete state of despiration I guess!

Im 24 and for the past 15 years I have suffered from emetaphobia. Its only been in the past year or so that things have really got out of hand, and now I am finding it very difficult to live any normal kind of existance.

As I type this I am virtually housebound, I say virtually as I can just about make it into the garden. This is a relatively new thing, I used to be able to go out accompanied up until about 2 weeks ago.
    Panic attacks are becoming what seems like an hourly occurance. I feel ill all the time, constantly feeling that I am going to be sick. I cant work out if this is bringing on the panic attacks, or whether this is caused by them.

I just really dont know what to do anymore. I have been to my doctor, who wasnt very much help at all. He just prescribed anti depresants.

I hate the night time, I await each night with dread, as I wonder what will happen to me. I just really cant go on this way much longer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ellie

Hi Ellie and a big, warm welcome to the site. You will find lots of useful information and support here.

It might be a good idea to go back to your doctor and discuss the possibility of other treatments, such as counselling and psychotherapy. Many people here (myself included) have had good results with it and have been able to make positive changes.

Eeb x

Hi Ellie,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hi Ellie,

A big warm welcome to you. We are all here for each other so we never feel alone.

Take Care

Mandyxx

hi ellie, welcoe aboard
    xxx

Hi Ellie

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here

Nicola

Hello Ellie

I have/had the exact same phobia.
    I say have/had because i still have bad episodes but no where near as often as i used to.
    I could talk for hours here but it's not fair to go on and on, e mail me if you'd like to talk about it, or pm and i will reply i promise you, i'm sure i can support you through this, i know how dreadful and fearful you are feeling especialy at night because i felt the same but it is something you can get over and hopefuly we can help.

Love Sharon x

Hi Ellie,

The thing is to look at making progress by doing it in babysteps.

You could start just by standing on the doorstep for a minute then onto the drive or into the garden. It doesnt matter how long each stage (weeks or longer) takes, just move on to the next stage as and when you are ready.

I did go on a good telephone recovery course awhile back - its run by the charity Nopanic. You have to join the charity which is £10 per year. Then you join a recovery group which involves an hour on the telephone one night a week for a few months where you get to chat to others who are in exactly the same boat. The leader encourages you to set yourself little achievable goals each week.

There is lots you can do and believe me this stage you are at won't last forever.

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Thread Information