Thread: Citalopram stopped working

Citalopram stopped working

I've been on Citalopram for at least 18 months. Initial doses weren't helping with my mood. I started on 10mg and my doseage went up gradually over months. By May 2012 I was started on 40mg. Within a few weeks I felt a definite improvement.

I've had a few 'blips' along the road but on average they would last a day or two. The last couple of months though there has been a gradual decline in my mood. I can see the old pattern emerging. It starts with a couple of low days every couple of weeks and then gradually increases where the bad days are outweighing the good. So just now I'm having more bad than good and feel the grip tightening. I'm more anxious, my sleep is affected, I get angry easier and my emotions feel raw - all the old symptoms.

I honestly think the Cit is no longer effective for me. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what did you do?
    "In the end we only regret chances we didnt take, relationships we were scared to have, and decisions we waited to long to make. There comes a time in your life when you realise who matters, who doesn't, who never did, and who always will". - Anon

Re: Citalopram stopped working

Hey Mizfiesta,

My advice would be to go back to your GP if you feel citalopram isn't working for you, you can discuss it further with him/her, it may be that another SSRI is better for you (there are many others out there, it just takes time to find the right one )

Re: Citalopram stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by little scientist View Post
    Hey Mizfiesta,

My advice would be to go back to your GP if you feel citalopram isn't working for you, you can discuss it further with him/her, it may be that another SSRI is better for you (there are many others out there, it just takes time to find the right one )
    Yea I've got an appointment scheduled Scientist, thanks.
    "In the end we only regret chances we didnt take, relationships we were scared to have, and decisions we waited to long to make. There comes a time in your life when you realise who matters, who doesn't, who never did, and who always will". - Anon

Thread Information