Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weaning off Omeprazole

Re: Weaning off Omeprazole

Exactly! He even went as far as to say that he didn't understand why the doctor had told me that! I'm going to see the doc tomorrow if I can so i will let you know what he says. I was in tears about it all tonight. All I want is to be normal again and start a family with my new husband.

We can do this together, get off these pills. I think the support of someone going through the same thing always helps :-) x

I hope your Doctor is of some help. When I asked mine about it he looked at me blank when I asked about rebound acid. The GPs tend to go on what pharmaceutical reps tell them and they aren't going to mention too much about rebound acid as it is not classed as a serious side effect. Every forum you go on or google about stopping or tapering off omeprazole has people's accounts of the rebound acid.

I keep telling myself that everybody is different and maybe I'll be lucky and not suffer too badly. Keep telling yourself this as if we get anxious about it things will be worse. Anxiety is not good as it increases stomach acid. I'm going to spend more time doing relaxation excercises it might help.

You have my support 100% let me know what the Doctor says tomorrow x

Doctor didn't really help. Told me that if I am getting this burning then I must still need them and right now it is best to stay on them and not have the stomach pains. I couldn't get in to see my normal doctor so I have made an appointment to see them on the 19th April. I think I am going to take my 40mg again tomorrow (I have done today) and wait for a while till I speak to the GP and my Mum (who has been on holiday the whole time I have tried this). Might have to give up this time and try again soon.

Oh dear. Your GPs the same as mine.

I found this website last night, an interesting piece here about PPIs http://www.refluxmd.com/learn/resour...anage-symptoms

I didn't take any omeprazole last night, I took 150mg of ranitidine/Zantac. I'll take omeprazole tonight and the next night ranitidine and do that for a couple of weeks to see how I get on. Fingers crossed I can do this.

Let me know how you get on. I was thinking about asking for a high dose of ranitidine to supplement the Omeprazole I am not taking and slowly change to the ranitidine and then come off that.

Thanks for the link. I will take a look :-)

So I chickened out. I took my 40mg again today. Yet I still have that annoying burning on the right hand side and a sore throat. But thinking about it, I always had a funny throat even when taking the nexium! So maybe it isn`t GERD. I am so confused. I just don`t want to be living off drugs for the rest of my life. I`m only 27!

I know how you feel. I think the same thing everytime I take an Omeprazole tablet out of the packet. I feel angry that when I was given these I wasn't warned about how hard it is to stop them.

The nurse is coming out today to take some blood as my periods are all the place I asked the doctor if they could also check for any deficiencies caused by Omeprazole. These an be b vitamins, calcium & magnesium. Hopefully they'll come back clear and I can stop worrying about that.

I have a funny throat everyday when I first wake, I don't know if it's from acid reflux or if it's a sinus issue.

I am on that because of acid and indigestion but I feel as though they don't really do much anyway.
    I had a gastroscopy done which I didn't get done because I freaked out but I should've done. But I think you should talk to your doctor to see how you can wean off them.

I was given it for indigestion really rather than acid reflux. But I feel that they have actually caused the burping etc. that I never had before. Ir ead somewhere (and I think the 'good' doc told me this) that if the PPIs aren't making much of a difference, it means that acid reflux isn't the problem! I even had a homeopath do a test for excess acid and she told me that I definetely don't have a problem with that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information