Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaning off Omeprazole

Weaning off Omeprazole

I am trying to get myself off Omeprazole (a PPI) as I want to start a family and I have been taking these for 4 years which has caused low iron etc. I was on Nexium (Esomeprazole) but swaped to Omeprazole because it would be easier to come off. I did this without a problem.

On Monday I took 30mg of my PPI instead of my 40mg. Then yesterday I took 40mg of my PPI and today I took 30mg again. The theory the doc had is that it would amount to 35mg a day in total so it would be going down in small doses.

On Monday I kind of panicked about taking the lower dose. I was thinking about what my stomach was doing a lot and had a panic attack about it in the middle of the night. Then yesterday I was worried about going back to work (after the Easter break) when I was coming off my meds. I was nervous all day and by the end of the day I had really bad pains and a burning chest.

Then this morning I woke up nervous. I have again had acid feelings, my throat feels like it is opening/closing up, I have bad IBS pains and stomach pains and I feel burning on the right hand side. The same symptoms and panic happened to me back in September after I got married and the more I worried about them, the worse it got. I was on my full dose of Nexium at the time so it wasn't acid that caused the pain or else I wouldn't have got it on the meds and off the meds.

Today I am worrying that maybe I have these symptoms because I can't come off the PPIs. Maybe that is why my stomach is so unsettled. I have hunger pains and wind/gas. But I don't really have heartburn. So that is what makes me wonder if it is my anxiety again? I need someone to talk to about this as my husband just says he doesn't know and my Mum is away at the moment. I can't bother the doctor again as I am always there. Surely I wouldn't feel rebound acid by dropping by 5mg and after only 1 day?

P.S. I should add that my main IBS trigger is anxiety

Re: Weaning off Omeprazole

Hi there,

I would say it is the anxiety that's causing you these feelings as if you do get rebound acid from withdrawal it usually starts day 3.

I want to see what I'm like off Omerazole but I fear the rebound acid too much to try.

Good luck in stooping the meds. This site is quite useful http://howtoquitprilosec.blogspot.co.uk/

Well I'm on my third day today but I took my normal dose yesterday so surely it can't be rebound? I thought u didn't really get it u did it slowly? Mind u the burning started yesterday on day 2. I'm so confused and panicky!

It's different for different people. Tests were done and people who'd never had acid reflux were given PPI's for 8 weeks. When they stopped they got rebound acid.

Some people say that taking a DGL liquorice tablet before meals helps, you can get these from health food shops.

Some people get it even when they taper really slowly others don't.

I want to see what I'm like without the medication as it can cause bad side effects in long term use. I'm scared to stop it because of the rebound acid and also it might cause damage not taking it as it prevents ulcers and oesphogus damage from acid reflux. I'm also scared to stay on it because of the damage long term use can do. Can't decide what to do for the best. I think I'll taper of it and go onto ranitidine if I'm still getting acid.

Why were you given them? Mine was for stomach pains but my gp is convinced it is now probably because of my ibs. I would say try and get off the pills if you can. They are not good long term. I have been on them 4 years and they have done more harm than good.

Thanks for the link to that blog. It says take 5mg off each day. Mine are capsules. I wonder if I can get pills I can cut in the uk? X

Mine are 20mg pills, so ask your Doctor to change your prescription.

I was given them for suspected GERD/acid reflux. I went for an endoscopy but freaked out and started choking when he put the scope in so he had to stop. The sedation had no effect on me, the spray had worked but I was panicking so bad I couldn't have it done. My Doctor then prescribed Omeprazole and it did stop the acid that was coming up into my throat and mouth but they don't always work now. I think i started with acid reflux due to anxiety the same goes for my IBS too. I've been on them just over 3 years now. I've decided I'm going to try and stop. 20mg one night then 15mg for 4 weeks then to 15mg and so on

Good luck and please let me know how you get on. X

Are you able to cut your pills up then? When i was on nexium I couldn't cut the pills as it said not to. At the moment I'm taking 30 then 40 but really suffering on the 30 days. I want to do it by 5mg like u suggest.

My acid reflux and ibs are caused by anxiety. I had the scope in the end (I made them give me a general anathetic (which was a real fight!) as it was the only way they were geting that down my throat (I also panicked). Sounds like your situation is similar to mine. I had acid reflux but only midly brought on my ibs-c. I would suggest gettin off them. It does scare me though that the blog I sent says it can take 8-16 months!!

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Good luck as well! When are you going to start coming off them? X

If I manage to get off the PPI's and I'm still getting reflux I too will demand an anaesthetic as my gag reflex and panic are too much for the endoscopy. They gave me the sedation and it did nothing, I was fully alert. Other people say they can't remember much after the sedation. I've felt more sedated after a cup of tea than what they gave me!

The Omeprazole tablets I take can be dissolved in water so it must be okay to cut them. I've bought a pill cutter so I can make sure I cut them equally, every grain counts!!

Ignore the blog you may find that you can taper off faster.

I'm going to take 20mg tonight and 15mg tomorrow night.

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

I am going to be very careful with my diet and avoid all potential triggers when I'm tapering off.

Just been told by the same pharmacist who told me to get off the pills two years ago, that it isn't possible to wean yourself off ppi's. That they aren't addictive and that you either take them or you don't. He said its like with pain killers you either have the pain or don't. You can't let your body get used to a bit if pain and do it slowly. Am I right in thinking that is a load of rubbish? This pharmacist told me two years ago to come off the ppi's as I WILL get ostepraosis (he said will, not me) and not he is telling me that if I come off them I'm at risk of stomach cancer. I'm so confused. I don't know who to speak to

Well that's a load of rubbish everything I have read says there's a high risk of rebound acid if you just stop taking PPI's.

I read this article today about PPI's http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-de...b_2958014.html

Like you I'm scared. I'm scared to be on them because of what they can do but also scared to be off them because of what damage the acid can do.

I'm coming off them to see what I'm like without them and I'll make a decision based on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information