Thread: Tapering off Cit - best way?

Tapering off Cit - best way?

I am currently on 40mg of Citalopram and have been since last May. It worked ok at first but now seems to have no real effect on my mood. And I believe it's making my anxiety worse.

Anyway I've decided to start coming off it - dropping my dose by 5mg at a time. My question is, is it best to drop the dose every week or every two weeks? I guess everyone is different but I'm trying to avoid discontinuation syndrome like the plague as I feel fragile enough just now. Thanks in advance.
    "In the end we only regret chances we didnt take, relationships we were scared to have, and decisions we waited to long to make. There comes a time in your life when you realise who matters, who doesn't, who never did, and who always will". - Anon

Re: Tapering off Cit - best way?

My advice is to take it slow. I was on 20mg for 11 years and I came off last year. The longer and slower the better!! I took about 6 months to taper off 20mg but that's just me.
    I'm back on medication now but next time I might consider taking 2 years to taper off which many thing is uncessessary but I have my reasons for doing so.

Everyone will tell you different things and you doctor will probably fail to understand how severe discontinuation symptoms are so ignore what they have to say. Just take it VERY SLOW and do it for a very long time!

Re: Tapering off Cit - best way?

Like you I want to see if I can manage without the cit even though they have done me good, I have been to my GP this morning, so I cut down by 5 mg from tomorrow, he said to go down by 10mg but I said I would prefer to try 15, so 15mg for a month then 10 for a month, then 5, if at anytime I feel I am not coping I have to go back, I have only been on them since July and was only on 20mg but most people who have been there seem to say the slower the better.

Thread Information