Thread: Citalopram trouble

Citalopram trouble

hi there,

I was just wondering if some one might be able to share their experience of using citalopram, which I gather is quite a common anti-depressant. I know there's a whole thread about this somewhere else, and I read most of the guide that one of the moderators wrote, but it would be great if someone could just let me know their thoughts... sorry if this is a bit long.

So I went to the doctor's on Tuesday feeling really rubbish. I've been before on request of my housemates because they could tell I was highly agitated with stress and anxiety, but was determined that I didn't want to take any meds and asked to get some kind of talky therapy instead. That was two months ago and I haven't had a referral letter through... Anyway, I go through highs and lows, as I'm sure everyone does (the swing of the pendulum, as they say), but last week I broke down twice. Everyone has their problems, and I feel like it's impossible to talk to anyone for fear of overburdening them - it always feels a bit selfish.

Anyhoo, I was feeling really low and was having some quite 'nihilistic' thoughts, and thought I may as well go back to the doctor and see what was going on with the referral (maybe he just wanted to get rid of me - he looked pretty stressed out) and approach the question of meds with a more open mind. I saw nurse (I think) this time, who asked me the usual assessment questions and apparently my answers were provocative enough for her to offer me citalopram. She mentioned briefly about some side effects, by which time I was desperate to get out of there as I hate talking about this stuff.

I got the prescription and took one. Went to a meeting and felt normal... then a few hours later I started getting a tonne of side effects. This weird feeling in my head that I've never felt before, nausea, complete and utter confusion, and I couldn't sleep whatsoever. The confusion was an absolute killer the following day, when I had to be relatively productive at work. I'm only prescribed 10mg, as the nurse or whoever it was I saw, could see that I was a bit worried about starting on meds so put me on a low dose. It's more or less worn off now and I haven't taken any more since. I tried to go back today but they wouldn't see me. I was just wondering, is it worth it?!? I know this might sound odd, but how depressed do you have to go for it to be worth the trade off? I mean, I was feeling, and still feel bloody awful, but at least I can think straight, and I understand and can relate to the world around me.

What do you think? Would really like to hear some thoughts on what I know is quite a difficult and nebulous question.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Citalopram trouble

I've been on it for three years now (10mg). If i could go back three years i would have never started them. I hate how numb they make me feel. I tried to wean off them but the withdrawals were as bad as the initial side effects and so now i feel like i am stuck on them forever.

In my opinion it's worth fighting your problems psychologically rather than medically.

Good luck to you :]

Thread Information