Thread: 3 weeks into citalopram 20mg - update

Question 3 weeks into citalopram 20mg - update

Hello all,

So it's been three weeks since I started the 20 mg citalopram. I have to say unfortunately, I could be more upbeat about it. The truth is, what I was expecting (hoping) hasn't materialised yet.

My appetite is still not there, I wake up in the morning still feeling anxious, I definitely don't really have the joy of waking up in the morning and feeling excited / good about anything.

Am seriously thinking about going to my GP next week and asking if I should double my dose to 40 mg per day.

I have read that people who suffer from OCD need as much as 60 mg per day to notice any effects, and I am starting to think that this may be the case with me, as I do have OCD amongst other things such as depression / anxiety / social anxiety etc.

Any thoughts anyone?

Re: 3 weeks into citalopram 20mg - update

Hi, the only things that we can realistically expect in the first few weeks of medication is an abatement in some of the medicine's side effects. Medication takes the edge off our symptoms, it is not designed to cure us or fix the problem.

Anxiety and low mood seem to have their roots in schemas, which are belief systems that we develop over time. These beliefs are central to our view of ourselves and the world. The only way to beat the illness is to find out what your beliefs are (many of them will be hidden or obscure) and challenge them, so they can be replaced with new, positive and encouraging schemas. You must build these new beliefs even if you don't trust them at first. It's like in that poem:

...and so hold on when there is nothing in you
    except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”

A GP will not upgrade the dose to 60mg. 40mg is also quite high. They may step you up to 30mg, which will probably help to dull the anxiety, but unless you are prepared to confront your fears and create more affirmative, confident beliefs, you will continue to feel as if there is nothing good going on in your life.

Medication is a support tool. It will never replace determination, ownership and courage, although it will help to bolster them until they take root in you and grow strong on their own.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Re: 3 weeks into citalopram 20mg - update

I am at exactly the same stage with Cit - 3 weeks in on 20mg - and feel similar to you. Not much happening in terms of feeling better or more optimistic about things but I didn't expect anything yet so I am going to stick with it.

The first week or so was quite bad for me in terms of side effects - spaced out, tired, diarrhea, headache - felt awful but at least these effects have now gone. Still have anxious moments and some palpitations but trying to be positive and hope for better times ahead.

I have noticed the odd fleeting moment where I suddenly get a good feeling and a burst of energy but soon slump back into 'can't be bothered' mode so I think it may be slowly starting to work.

Keep going and see how you feel in a week or two before thinking about a higher dose.

Thread Information