Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been prescribed Mirtazapine

I've been prescribed Mirtazapine

I'm very nervous about starting it, I'm not good with new medications after an allergic reaction to Citalopram and the tricyclic, Dosulepin gave me tachycardia.

Does anyone take this drug for anxiety? I'm not suffering from depression but the agoraphobia, post traumatic stress and anxiety is making me very low.

The GP said it can have cardiac affects so I'm a tad on edge. Also panicking about allergic reaction. I've also read it can cause aggressiveness:(

I feel constant anxiety even at home, then when I go out I have panic attacks, he thinks it'll really help. I'm a mum to 3 children, I really need to get better. I was attacked six months ago by my brother and I've been suffering with anxiety and agoraphobia since:(

Re: I've been prescribed Mirtazapine

First off, I want to say, I am sorry you went through such a harsh time. I feel for you, I really do.

Try the Mirtazapine, it WILL bring you back up, that I can promise. It's easy to start up, no real harsh side effects. Within 1-2 weeks, you should see process. Take it at night. Hang in there, you will feel better.

Hi Pearl
    I also want to say how sorry I am for what you've gone through.
    I suffer from GAD, but it escalated recently for not apparent reason so my doctor switched me from Citalopram to Mirtazapine. She prescribed it for anxiety, but recently I've been feeling really depressed - which I'm assuming is because of the continued anxiety/lack of sleep. It's taken a few months for it to work with me, but I haven't come across any side effects.
    Good luck, Sue x

Thank you so much for your kind reply. It's been tough, he had bullied me all year accusing me of calling social services as he was hurting his step son (which I didn't do) then September he attacked me and got arrested. My nan passed away last July too and I miss her terribly:(

I am such a wimp when it comes to meds, I terrify myself I will react badly, either allergic reaction and once I know I'm not allergic I think I will get something awful. That's because I had an allergic reaction to citalopram 9 years ago then Dosulepin this year caused fast heart. It's scared me. I've not had meds for 9 years, previously for anxiety after a miscarriage.

Are they a good drug for anxiety? Thank you for giving me advice xx

Quote Originally Posted by Consider View Post
    First off, I want to say, I am sorry you went through such a harsh time. I feel for you, I really do.

Try the Mirtazapine, it WILL bring you back up, that I can promise. It's easy to start up, no real harsh side effects. Within 1-2 weeks, you should see process. Take it at night. Hang in there, you will feel better.

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Thanks Sue. I'm glad it's helped you. Very reassuring that you've suffered no affects. No weight gain? Although that doesn't concern me as I'm a skinny minny xx

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodlester View Post
    Hi Pearl
    I also want to say how sorry I am for what you've gone through.
    I suffer from GAD, but it escalated recently for not apparent reason so my doctor switched me from Citalopram to Mirtazapine. She prescribed it for anxiety, but recently I've been feeling really depressed - which I'm assuming is because of the continued anxiety/lack of sleep. It's taken a few months for it to work with me, but I haven't come across any side effects.
    Good luck, Sue x

Hi i tried mirtazapine and had no real side effects apart from drowsiness oh and the munchies lol they really increase your appetite so you need to keep an eye on that, Im very med phobic and terrified of starting new meds but it was a walk in the park compared to others! Unfortunately it didn't help me but I've read alot of positives about it, good luck x x

Thank you Nicola. That's very reassuring x

Quote Originally Posted by nicola1980 View Post
    Hi i tried mirtazapine and had no real side effects apart from drowsiness oh and the munchies lol they really increase your appetite so you need to keep an eye on that, Im very med phobic and terrified of starting new meds but it was a walk in the park compared to others! Unfortunately it didn't help me but I've read alot of positives about it, good luck x x

Hi Pearl,

Although technically an antidepressant, it's also prescribed for anxiety. I take 45 mg a day for anxiety, but also combined with pregabalin. The two together work well for me.

It doesn't work for everyone - you just have to try it. It often causes drowsiness one or two hours after you take it, so many people use it as a sleep aid. Another effect is increased appetite. Some people want to gain weight, but I suspect most don't, so it may mean keeping a close watch on your diet.

Mirtazapine is actually one of the safe ADs to take for people with heart rhythm problems (I have had atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation at times). I'm not sure what information your GP had.

Thank you for your reassuring reply.

It's so scary for me to start meds:( once I've taken the first couple I'm ok but I get so worried I will end up in hospital or something that taking the first is so difficult for me.

I know, he said it can have cardiac affects but reading the leaflet there's no mention.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Hi Pearl,

Although technically an antidepressant, it's also prescribed for anxiety. I take 45 mg a day for anxiety, but also combined with pregabalin. The two together work well for me.

It doesn't work for everyone - you just have to try it. It often causes drowsiness one or two hours after you take it, so many people use it as a sleep aid. Another effect is increased appetite. Some people want to gain weight, but I suspect most don't, so it may mean keeping a close watch on your diet.

Mirtazapine is actually one of the safe ADs to take for people with heart rhythm problems (I have had atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation at times). I'm not sure what information your GP had.

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

I need a big slap, I am too scared to start it. I know a bad experience of racing heart on Dosulepin and an allergic reaction to an SSRI is enough to scare anyone but I am too scared to start this.

I have been given 15mg, am considering breaking it in half for the first few days so I am eased in, but even that I am scared of. Allergic reactions scare me but so do side effects:-( I find starting meds just awful, I know I will start it and sit on high alert anxious all night. Any words of wisdom?

Oh Pearl, I'm following your progress as I've failed miserably to stick at any SSRI and got heart arrhythmias on tricyclic drugs too. I'm on Pregabalin at the moment and my GP wants me to give it a month before trying anything else but Mirtazepine would be my next drug if I can't cope without an antidepressant.

Can I ask what your allergic reaction to the SSRI was and if you generally sensitive to coffee and stimulants?

I am not allergic to SSRI's but sensitive to them, they cause sweating, panic and make me feel like I am quite literally dying, which I know I'm not but it feels worse than anything imaginable. Anyway with this is mind, I would try Mirtazepine, severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to this medication is very, very rare. What is the worst that could happen if you took this medication? It's not stimulating like the SSRI's, it may make you drowsy but in my experience that's better than being scared. You have to weigh up all the pros and cons of any treatment, can you carry on like you are at the moment? Are you getting better or worse?

Taking half the dose does seem like a good idea to ease you in and if it comes to the worst you can stop it. Starting meds is awful but try to see it as a step to recovery and I don't think you'd be on high alert all night - most people seem to sleep well after taking it

Take care
    Sam

Sam,

I've been following your thread for a while to see how you were doing. If you are still down and out, I would recommend trying Paxil if you haven't done so already. It works for anxiety for sure. It took a while for mine to work, 2-4 weeks I saw improvement.

I am on Paxil and Remeron, the drug combo works for me as I also have major anxiety, nausea from acid reflux, and the certain transmitters it pulls off works great for me. I am a happy gal now, and the days keep getting better especially with CBT.

And to Pearl, relax, you will be okay. I actually knew a guy who had an allergic reaction to Cymbalta, and ended up on Mirt, he was fine. So don't be afraid to take it, I know it's hard but you will be fine, I promise. If you need reassurance, feel free to come on here, we are here to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information