Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 weeks in

4 weeks in

Hi all,

I'm now 4 weeks in to my citalopram course. Last week I felt really good but this week I'm feeling a bit more anxious again and back to wretching and boaking in the morning. Is this normal?

I was taking 2 x 10mg but my new prescription is 1 x 20mg tablet. Although the same brand is it possible that this may be the cause?

I was doing so well and really don't want to slip back again.

Re: 4 weeks in

I wouldn't have thought so if the brand is the same, I would imagine the filler etc is the same.

The retching and return to anxiety can be normal - try to stick with it. I had peaks and troughs when starting my citalopram both times (this is my second run on it) - it can take up to 12 weeks to work effectively but hopefully in time you will really start to see the benefits

Thanks for your reply.

Last week I was feeling pretty good and its just disheartening to be going backwards. I plan to stick with it. I need to beat this.

I am having a bit of a downer patch at the moment - I have been back on citalopram since October last year. Blips can, and often will, happen, but we can fight through them

The only thing that is keeping me battling on is the thought of feeling back to my old self (if I can remember what that was)

I was doing so well the last week too.

I have the doc again tomorrow so I'll see what she makes of it all.

I think it is normal to have blips when on medications, you will get through the bad patch and be fine again. Yes mention it to your doctor just to put your mind at ease

I'm feeling back to how I was the first few days on them. So tired too.

Hi Livi,
    I will be hitting the 4th week mark on Thursday. I started at 20mg and I didn't feel much difference the 1st week but by the 2nd week I felt miserable. The 3rd week was miserable too, I had insomnia, loss of apetite, I gagged every morning and had increased anxiety.
    My apetite is now back to normal and my sleep is better although I had bad dreams last night. I feel anxious in the morings and have a really hard time getting myself going. I have to be constantly occupied and doing something although I now feel less scared of being alone at home (having nothing to do and being at home by myself are my main struggles).
    Did you take the 2x10mg tablets at the same time of the day or did you take one in the morning and one at night? I don't know,maybe the tablets are a bit different in make up? Maybe give it a week and see.... I wonder why the doc prescribed you 2x10mg dose at the beggining, maybe it does make a difference?? Otherwise why would he change it later on as you adapt to the pill?? Maybe ask your doctor what his rationale was...
    I feel better but not 100%, maybe I feel 40% better. My Anxiety is usually lower in the afternoons. My doctor recommended last week to up my dose to 30mg but I was really scared to get increased nausea and insomnia again so I waited and side effects have gotten somewhat better this last week. I still think I will up my dose starting Friday but I will do it in 5mg increments instead. So I am going to try 25mg for a week and see how ot goes...
    Last edited by chicaplatense1; 10-04-13 at 21:37.

Hi Chic,

When I was prescribed the Citalopram, I was prescribed 20mg tablets but the chemist wouldn't give me them as I also had a prescription of Zomig for migraines. The doctor was checking with the hospital on something so instead of waiting (I wanted to start them asap to get the side effects out the way) I took my wife's 10mg tablets which were in the house already.

I carried on taking the 2x10mg for around a month until they ran out and then started on the 1 x 20mg. This is when I started feeling strange again.

I was at the doc yesterday and she prescribed me 10mg tablets so I can start the 2 x 10's again so I hope this blip passes as I was starting to feel good again.

At the moment I feel like I've taken a massive step back. My anxiety level is high again, I have the sweats and shakes and feel really dizzy and unstable.

Maybe your wife's tablets were old and had lost their strength?
    Honestly, I felt better at week 2 of taking the meds and then at week 3 I felt worse again and nausea and insomnia got worse.Then closer to week 4 I started feeling better again with regards to side effects and diminished Anxiety (althought I still do feel anxious,especially in the mornings). So maybe it is normal. I have been thinking of upping the dose but I am worried about the return of side effects....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information