Thread: Any tips to boost self-esteem?

Any tips to boost self-esteem?

I think for most people such as myself depression and anxiety come hand in hand.

The depression has a bad habit of making me feel bad about myself. Not necessarily about my physical appearance. I can tend to be quite arrogant because in my mind i believe that my outer appearance is the only good thing i have going for me, therefore i believe that i'm good for nothing with next to no personality/i'm a bad friend/sister/daughter.

Does anyone have any exercises or tips on how to boost self-esteem and to stop being so hard on one's self?

Re: Any tips to boost self-esteem?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

For a while I had to keep a journal of positive thoughts. When you think something negative about yourself, write it down and then change it to a positive. For example if I am thinking I hate my hair, I would write it down and then change it to something good.

Or just list positive things each day ... seems pointless at first but after a while it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by swgrl09 View Post
    For a while I had to keep a journal of positive thoughts. When you think something negative about yourself, write it down and then change it to a positive. For example if I am thinking I hate my hair, I would write it down and then change it to something good.

Or just list positive things each day ... seems pointless at first but after a while it helps.
    Good tips. The last part is perceptive too - it will feel fake at first, but your aim is to give up on negative beliefs and replace them with positive ones. I record self-talks onto my phone and listen to them on loop. Some are just repeating positive phrases over and over. Others were scripted by me in response to problems and concerns that were affecting my ability to enjoy life.

The best bet is to do the ABCD.

A is Activating Event. This is a situation that activates negative beliefs (see the next one down).

B is for Beliefs. This is your "perception filter" - beliefs are how you view yourself and the world. Beliefs generate thoughts. Separate your beliefs from your thoughts and concentrate on the beliefs, NOT the thoughts. The thoughts don't matter. Think of a belief as an aircraft carrier and the thoughts as the aircraft. If you try to fight the aircraft, some will get through. If you sink their carrier, it's bye bye aircraft.

C is for Challenge. You need to challenge each belief you have identified. You do NOT challenge all the thoughts, there are too many and you will be overwhelmed without fixing ANY of your problems, which will destroy confidence and motivation. The beliefs are bigger, more important targets. You are aiming to gradually change your beliefs.

I can't remember what D is for, but you get the general idea.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thread Information