Thread: To take or not to take

To take or not to take

I asked to go back on anti depressants because I am on a long waiting list for therapy (6 months) and needed help to carry on with my life, especially with the extreme anxiety at work. I was put on 10mg of Citalopram and two (actually, three) weeks later I saw a different doctor who knew NOTHING about mental health and increased my medication and told me to 'see how I feel in two weeks'.

Unfortunately I slept through my alarm clock and missed my next appointment. Since then I have tried and tried to get another appointment but every time I try the lines are flooded and when I get through I am told to call tomorrow, when in the past I could just book the nearest available appointment.... often the next week. Nothing. I have been off Citalopram 20mg for a week now and am feeling worse for wear because of withdrawals and a horrible cold. I want the help to keep me going until I get therapy (IF I flipping get there) but don't want to keep messing my brain up going on and off meds because I can't see a doctor in time before I run out.

I need some advice on what to do. I could try registering with another doctor but it'll mess up my application for therapy and my doctors has one of the shortest waiting lists for seeing a GP in the area, like a week is acceptable. Shall I fight to get back on antidepressants or shall I give up on the idea?

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Re: To take or not to take

Fight! If you have run out of meds they should be sorting out some kind of emergency prescription/assessment for you - stopping these meds cold turkey isn't a good thing as you are experiencing.

6 months is a long time to wait - do the surgery not have any appointments available on the day to be able to see ou? I know the lines often get flooded but I find that often the only way to get an appointment on the day is to ring the moment the lines open, and keep ringing....or even turn up at the surgery door the moment they open to get a "today" appointment.

Re: To take or not to take

Most of the time I call the surgery on the day they have no appointments left or if they did it's when I was working (depending on who I'm working with they won't be very sympathetic if I bugger off for a doctors appointment) although IF I can get an appointment I may just have to go, even if I am working. I do call as the lines open and I try and try and try but when I eventually get through there's nothing. I can imagine that at the moment loads of people around here have that nasty cold that's going around (me too) hence the business. I don't know who to contact about an emergency prescription.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Thread Information