Thread: Retching in the mornings

Retching in the mornings

Hi all,

I'm almost 4 weeks back on 20mg Citalopram

I find myself heaving in the mornings and usually bile comes up, and appetite is still not back to normal

Can I expect this to go away? other side effects seem to be going which is positive

Re: Retching in the mornings

Had the same thing.

When do you take your Citalopram and do you take it with or without food?

The number one side effect for most of these SSRI's is nausea.

I have been wretching terribly, worse when I'm anxious.

Exactly the same for me. 20mg 4 weeks in. I'm bringing up bile every morning too. I take my tablet at night as I'm too drowsy at work to take it in the morning.

thank you both for your replies - I take it at night

I'm hoping this will pass, it's starting to become part of my routine when getting up, it's annoying but not terrible

any ideas if this will pass? other than that I'm feeling positive about the progress back on 20mg

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

also take it without food - never really had these side effects first time I went on it

My routine in the morning is always the same. I get up, go to the stables, get to a certain stage in my morning muck out and wretch.

This morning I didn't get to the stables and I did not wretch.

I'm wondering if it's more a habit now than an actual side effect.

yeah same with me because I know in my mind I almost feel better after it, it's strange. Like it's getting rid of the anxiety?

I've had it in the past and does seem to go, even without citalopram - I've also had it before starting new jobs (disappears once settled), going on dates etc so maybe this is just who I am lol

I just find it weird it's been happening everyday, like you said out of habit

Hi i had this every morning for about 9 months when my anxiety was at its worst and in the end Im sure it became a habit as i expected it every morning and could even bring it on myself i think! Eventually it passed thank goodness x x

Hi AnxiousAnt,
    Today I am on week 4, day 1, and today is the first day that I have not gagged in the morning. I was doing that every day too. It was happening before I even started the Citralopram but it got worse and more regular once I started the pill.
    I still feel anxious in the morning but the periods of Anxiety are getting shorter and shorter and more bearable and I notice they happen around the same times of the day so I attribute it to the pill.
    I had terrible hot flashes which have gotten more and more mild.
    I still experience some insomnia but not as bad and when I do wake up at night there is no anxiety/panick, just a lot of over thinking about stuff. The Anxiety doesn't come till early morning and it subsides once I get going.
    I think the pill is helping me and it will work for you too!

thank you Nicola, I hope it does pass - having it for 9 months must of been hard

chicaplatense1 - thanks for the response, I have noticed that you're at a similar stage to me from your posts in the forum, I'm about to hit my 4th week on Monday if I remember. From what you're saying it seems we're having very similar experiences. I'm feeling they're working - the anxious racing thoughts are slowly going away and I'm feeling a lot more positive most of the time

At the moment it's just the retching, struggling to sleep at night (I take the pill at about 9:30 and don't seem to get to sleep until 3am), and very vivid dreams!

Appetite is still a bit all over the place, last time i was on Citalopram my appetite was really good

Thread Information