Thread: SCARED to take citalopram!!!

SCARED to take citalopram!!!

Hi all, I have been lurking around this site for a while now and finally decided to join as it would be nice to speak to people who are going through the same as me..

I have been suffering with depression for 18 months now. After a year i decided to go to the docs and asked for antidepressants, she prescribed me a two week course of sertraline 50mg.
    Wow, oh my god it totally blew my socks off after the first tablet, I felt lower than i ever had before, i was retching and my head and arms were tingling! I felt wired all day, couldnt sleep, then the next day i was soo scared to take one i halved it, needless to say that was the last one i took, i then ended up at A&E where the doc prescribed be a weeks course of Diazepam until the tablets were out of my system.

Antidepressants were always kind of my life line, and kept me going when i was trying to beat this naturally, in my head i knew it was always there and would be as simple as taking a few tablets and 'bing!!' back to 'normal' so i was devastated to find out this is not the case!

I went back to the doctors about 4 months ago, he prescribed me citalopram 10mg, he said it may be a case i have to go through the side effects, i know i can not cope if i react the same way as i did to Sertraline. I have been carrying them around with me but can never bring myself to take one, what if i react to all SSRI's in this way

It would be good to hear anyone elses experiences with antidepressants? Anyone currently plucking up the courage to start Citalopram out there?

Thanks for reading, hopefully speak to someone soon

Jo

Re: SCARED to take citalopram!!!

I'm the same, terrified to take them. Tried them for a few days and felt much better mentally, clear headed. Unfortunately being male the sexual side effects make them impossible to stay on. I had 20mg and was surprised how quickly they made me feel better, a few days so you might try them and if they make you feel bad you can stop without any withdrawals. Hit and miss with these things it seems.

Thats really encouraging to hear, thank you! Its a shame you have to come off of them, i guess being a woman those side effects are not so important. I hope you find something else to suit you

Thanks. Was going to try Bupropion, which is just as effective but doesn't mess with your private parts, it's only prescribed as an aid to quit smoking here though, not depression. Very strange.

Hi there Jo,

Hope you are doing ok. I can identify, I felt so similar to you. I really didn't want to take them, I was terrified, (I have bad bad health anxiety as well as depression !) and had heard all the horrid side effects... and with my health anxiety could pretty much feel any odd bodily sensation and be convinced I was dying.

I did feel a bit funny for a while, like I had eaten a whole jar of coffe.... a serious odd high, and had a few of the other side effects like dry mouth, bad headache etc, but they did go. My GP advised my to take mine just after dinner, to avoid the sickness and then you sleep through some of the mean side effects. But different people get told different things. If possible maybey start taking them if you have a bit of time off work, or when it doesnt matter if they make you feel pretty yukky, I did have a good couple of weeks feelng like poo.... but can safley say for me it was worth it despite really really not wanting to start taking them.

All of they drugs are slightly different and from what I have read it is quite common to have to sometimes try a few different drugs before finding one that settles ok with your system. Try not to worry also, as even if SSRI's do not agree with you, there are other options out there for treating depression with medication.

Wishing you all the best.

C

Hi all

Just to let you know my wife has been on a few antidepressants over the years and for some time now she has been on citalpram with not adverse effects. She is also taking Mirtazapine.

I have to say every one is different so what suits one may not suit others.

Good luck

Ed

― Simone Elkeles, Leaving Paradise

Hi everyone,
    Thank you so much for your positive advice and experiences I really appreciate it!
    Well I finally plucked up the courage to start taking them, I had my first one on Sunday so on day 6 today and I must say I'm feeling pretty good so far!!

I did feel abit strange, I had a slight tingly feeling in my head and also had a bit of a high feeling like you described! I was also worries about insomnia but I actually started sleeping better and they have made me a bit more tired if anything!

Overall so far so good ! Best thing I did was bite the bullet and start these! Xxx
    I hope this can reassure those in a similar position! Xxx

Thread Information