Don't be, it does give you side effects like every AD but I found Escitalopram nothing like how terrible I felt on Citalopram. The first day I had no anxiety or effects at all, then had hot flushing during the night, didn't feel hungry but wasn't really sick as such but I just felt off it if that makes sense, I had head ache, struggled sleeping yet wanted to sleep during the day because I felt really tired, when I first woke up I had irritability and one of the worst side effects was feeling flat but these effects soon passed and were never extreme and on other ssri's, mainly the Citalopram, I used to feel like my head was going to explode off my shoulders after one pill and I had anxiety all day long, even terrible panic adjusting to the medicine but though I did get nervousness, I have only had 2 panic attacks since November when I started Escitalopram. I do take Lorazepam and sleeping pills though but am now trying to eat a lot more healthily...I have bought vitamins and bananas, I hate bananas too but they are meant to be so good for depression and the nervous system, I might evenforce feed another for lunch, ha ha ha.
Seriously, I felt exactly the same when I first got prescribed my Escitalopram but the more you take it the better it gets, you will have yoyo days and blips but I am generally so much better for being prescribed it and feel in time I will be 100% better again. I am def getting there (: