Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy on Mirtazipine?

Happy on Mirtazipine?

Am very new to this forum but would love to hear about other people's experiences with Mirtazipine!I started suffering with panic attacks after my son was beaten up badly last Summer and that then became major anxiety and seems to have manifested itself as Health Anxiety at the moment! The doctors seem to want to keep me on Mirtazipine or other anti depressants but am really suffering with bad breast pain (recently found a cyst so not sure if it's that). Tried Sertraline which sent my anxiety through the roof so would be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences with Mirtazipine? Am supposed to be having phone counselling (which has been cancelled several times) and really hate being on tablets

Re: Happy on Mirtazipine?

iam not on that meds so carnt advice, sory but welcome to the site

Mirtazapine is usually a fairly easy medication to start taking. It usually makes people feel very sleepy for a few days, but this wears off. Weight gain from increased appetite is a problem for many people - you need to monitor this if it is a potential problem. Generally, it should make you sleep better and feel less anxious.

It made me sleep really well, with no real side effects and my anxiety totally went for about 3 weeks but then it sadly pooped out on me, which can sometimes happen sadly for some people so in my case, I had to swap to Escitalopram. So sorry to hear about your Son, I do hope he is ok now.

Hey Aden

Big welcome to the site . I have been on Mirtazipine for just over 3 years now and its still working for me i take it for severe depression it use to make me very sleepy but now that side effect has kind of worn off every now and again it will hit me like a train haha !. My experience of Mirtazipine has been a very good one but it differs from person to person

Cameron

Hi, I am on 30mg mirtazapine and have (almost) nothing but praise for it.

The side effects to watch out for are:

1. Being knocked out by the dose, which does get easier when you get used to it, but you should only take mirtazapine when you are getting ready to go to bed. Definitely do not take it right before you need to do anything or go anywhere. (Positive side: you will probably sleep better on mirtazapine than ever before, and it's easy to fall back asleep most of the time too.)

2. Weight gain. Definitely watch this, make sure you try to get some exercise and remember that mirt is a soporific so exercise may seem somewhat harder, but far from impossible.

Those are the only two you'll probably notice.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Mirtazapine was a super medication for me, I wouldn't hesitate to take it again. Main side effects exactly as described by Psychopoet, plus some brilliant dreams. I hate medication because I am so sensitive to side effects but Mirtazapine was so easy. I only ever went up to 15mg which was an effective dose for me.

I was prescribed mertazapine 15mg and started taking it last week. Almost immediately I began to feel an improvement and last week was great. I didn't really experience any side effects other than the sleepyness which was welcome because I struggle to fall/stay asleep when depressed/anxious. The last couple of days I have started to feel some of my symptoms of depression/anxiety creep back. For those who have taken mirtazapine is this normal. Did you get an initial improvement and then sort of relapse could this be delayed side effects. I don't really want to go back to the docs because it is still early in the treatment. I certainly don't want to stop this drug because I was very encouraged by how it went last week.

Welcome to the group!
    My meds were switched from Citalopram to Mirtazipine at the end of February. I was literally told to stop taking Cit one day and Mirt the next night. Since then I've experienced some really low days and some really high days. But I have to say personally the low days have been much greater than the highs. I'm currently feeling very anxious and panicky, so I'm really not sure Mirt it working for me at all.

It hasn't helped my sleeping at all, but I did find that my appetite came back, so I have put on a lot of weight.

Sorry I can't give you a positive story :(

Smile Re: Happy on Mirtazipine?

I too went straight from citalopram to mirtazapine. I was happy last week because I thought I had found the med which suited me best.I will be patient and see how it plays out. Don't worry about posting a positive reply. I kind of see all replies as positive because it really helps to know you are not alone in your battles with depression/anxiety.

Last edited by acmillo; 01-05-13 at 19:31. Reason: terrible spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information