Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy on Mirtazipine?

Re: Happy on Mirtazipine?

I felt like that about a week ago, but now I seem to have gone downhill. I think I'm going to have to speak to my GP again to see if there's something else she can suggest. I can't carry on when the downs are this bad, I want something that's more consistent/stable.

What dose are you on. I see from this forum that my dose is quite low. I am thinking of trying this for the month I've been given and if no improvement try upping to the next dose of 30mg

45mg. I started with 15mg, but was upped to 30mg after a fortnight when I hadn't made much improvement. My doctor then increased it to 45mg when my anxiety spiralled about a month - 6 weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by acmillo View Post
    Did you get an initial improvement and then sort of relapse could this be delayed side effects.
    The thing to remember with these classes of medications is that it can take at least a few weeks for them to get fully into your system. Although people do report a quick fix at the start, this isn't actually the main effect of the medication. You definitely need to give it a little longer but obviously monitor your mood and speak to your GP. Also, do remember that we will always have ups and downs, even on medication, so don't panic, give it some more time and hang in there

And please don't think 15mg is a low dose. Don't judge your dose by what other people take as we are all different. I only ever needed 15mg and was on it for over a year because that dose suited me well. Not everyone needs to go up to 30mg, the aim is always to get well on the lowest possible dose. But if you need to go up, that is still an option for you.

Thanks for your post. I think I was maybe a little unrealistic to think the meds would work so quickly. I have tried other meds such as ssri's and found that I would suffer side effects almost after one dose. I think part of the 'high' of last week was that I didn't seem to have any noticeable side effects. The last couple of days I have felt weak, anxious and overly tired. I thought that perhaps the drug had stopped working. After spending some time on this forum I decided to look at the information leaflet that came with the med (stupidly I didn't read it earlier because they sort of scare me) .Anyway it turns out what I'm now feeling are in the very common and common side effects section. I plan to continue on this for a while because
    In would just be back to square one with any new med. I guess now I would just ask any other mirt users how they found the side effects if indeed they had any.

Quote Originally Posted by acmillo View Post
    I guess now I would just ask any other mirt users how they found the side effects if indeed they had any.
    So much better for me than SSRIs. Citalopram hit me like a train and I had some funny episodes on it. Mirt by comparison was manageable. Tiredness to start with, made me very aggressive and short tempered for a few weeks, had some totally bonkers dreams, sweated a lot, plus VERY big increase in appetite - but all quite easy to cope with side effects I thought. It also cured my hayfever (yes, really!).

That is what scares me, the aggression you can suffer as a side effect. I'm scared as I've children, frightens me as I'd hate to be aggressive towards them.

How does the aggression feel?:/

The aggression is like an irritation that makes you suddenly snap and lose your temper. I had it at 30mg, it was only if I was provoked, didn't feel angry for no reason.

To me this was a new experience, as I rarely feel any anger at all in my life. I think it is something that many people have normally, just not something I was used to.

I recon that given time I could learn to live with a bit of anger and control it. It just took me by surprise.

Anyway I was feeling much better in myself and cut my dose to 15mg, the temper went away with the reduced dose.

Thank you, that has reassured me

Quote Originally Posted by oldtime View Post
    The aggression is like an irritation that makes you suddenly snap and lose your temper. I had it at 30mg, it was only if I was provoked, didn't feel angry for no reason.

To me this was a new experience, as I rarely feel any anger at all in my life. I think it is something that many people have normally, just not something I was used to.

I recon that given time I could learn to live with a bit of anger and control it. It just took me by surprise.

Anyway I was feeling much better in myself and cut my dose to 15mg, the temper went away with the reduced dose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information