Thread: Quick question for anyone woth experience of Citalopram side effects

Quick question for anyone woth experience of Citalopram side effects

Hi all,

I've been on 20mg Citalopram for nearly 5 weeks now. First two weeks were tough, but bearable. Third week I felt quite good.

Fourth week and up until now I feel like I am moving backwards again, although feeling less angry and more positive the dizziness, blurry vision and anxiety levels are on the up rather than on the down.

I was going to ring my doc to see if I need to increase my dose but not sure if I should ride this out a bit longer to see what happens.

Anyone felt the same and levelled out again as time goes on without upping the dose?

Re: Quick question for anyone woth experience of Citalopram side effects

My reply won't help you much because I am a week behind you.
    My apetite is fine now and I don't gag in the mornings anymore.
    Hot flashes is what has been botehring me and giving me insomnia but last night I didn't get them, I don't know if I will get them again tonight or if this means they are going away.
    I also still feel anxious, especially in the mornings. Some days I feel worse than others. I usually feel the best in the afternoons.
    I had several days when I felt really depressed in the morning and did not want to get up.
    I have been trying to find things that help keep me occupied to distract my mind from this, like doing some volunteer work, spending time with people, telling myself to accept uncertainty and accept suffering (for some reason acceptance gives me a little relief).
    I try to find other people who have suffered from either Depression and anxiety and they have all told me that the best way to feel better is to go out and keep active even if you have to force yourself to. I know this has nothing to do with your question of upping the dose but there are additional things you can do that help other than medicine. I am going to go jogging outside this morning, I finally feel I have enough energy to do so. Before I was going just for walks around the block, or to the park and gagging as I walked. LOL
    I am wondering the same as you in regards to dosage but I think I will keep it the same for a while longer.
    Dizziness and blurry vision are things that I haven't experienced this time around but they are also symptoms of Anxiety. I had that a few years back with my Anxiety/Panic for a long time. I didn't take medication at the time so I know it was from the Anxiety. I even got a new prescription for glasses, I thought I was going blind. These symptoms eventually went away. Dizziness might have to do with low blood pressure too, so make sure you drink plenty of water and maybe take some vitamins in case you are low on something. It might also be from exhaustion, being anxious all the time can make you tired. Or it could be a side effect from the meds, but I am sure this will subside.

Hi guys
    it can take a good 6 weeks before you get to feel proper benefits and lose the horrid side effects. I would wait a while before upping the dose. The blurry vision is horrid I do still get that but after 5 years you just get used to it. I agree that the dizziness can be low blood pressure and also anxiety. Keep hydrated and make sure you eat

Hi there

Not sure if it will help much, I have been on citalopram 3 months now and I had similar experiences with the side effects, they came and went for the first 7 ish weeks and even now some days I have a 'foggy' day. Rarely though and things are so much better.

I was very close to quiting or pumping up to a higher dose but in the end just stuck with it and it was fine and I am so glad I did. If you are feeling rubbish though it probably is best to give your GP a ring just to check it out and put your mind at rest.

All the best!

C

PS. I completly agree about staying hydrated.... I notice I feel pretty terrible if I havnt drunk a good litre of water/squash a day.
    Last edited by Nyan; 16-04-13 at 13:31. Reason: Forgot something!

Thread Information