Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic attacks - what's the worst thing that can happen?

Panic attacks - what's the worst thing that can happen?

As people who've read my posts in the past may remember, I suffer from what I'm told is classical agoraphobia - a fear of open spaces and open city streets (especially with buildings around which may fall on me, and where there's no prospect of getting "inside").

Today was particularly bad and, walking from the centre of town to the bus stop (near North Road Station in Plymouth, if anyone's interested), I had one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had and certainly my worst since my worst year suffering from this problem (2008, when I joined NMP). At one point everything started going white and I thought I was in danger of passing out (which would have been very bad for me, especially as I wear glasses which would have been broken had I fallen).

I managed to cope, just, and came home on the bus. But naturally I don't want to have to go through this again.

I don't take sedative pills and don't want to in the future. I can avoid Plymouth if I really have to although I'd rather not.

So, how do people cope with the really bad ones? Are you in danger of passing out when they hit?

Thanks for reading this,

Graham .

P.S. People who have suffered a full strength panic attack will know what I'm talking about here but (and I'm sorry if this sounds too melodramatic), if for any reason someone's reading this who's fortunate enough not to have experienced one, I feel I should make it clear that I cannot overstate how bad mine get, this one in particular was absolutely crucifying. I don't think I could have coped with it at all without the techniques I've learnt on here so far; try to relax and breathe deeply and "let it happen" without fighting it. Even with those methods, it was a full-on ordeal.
    Last edited by graham58; 15-04-13 at 21:43.

Re: Panic attacks - what's the worst thing that can happen?

ive been gettin panic attacks the last 12 months they gt so bad,i never leave my house unless i have a drink which is once a werk,the thought of goin outside make me feel ill,the wrse panic attack was when i was walkin in to town with friends,i startef to panic,i had to run home,was so embarrsed

trust me,you are not alone at all,ive had a couple of panic attacks but that's it for me, i didn't like it at all. I was in town |(Portsmouth city center). it was so busy i felt myself getting really tense and very uneasy, i didnt trust anyone and started to feel very agitated. my heartbeat when im at home is very low at 35 beats per minute,while in town it must have been up to 200 beats per minute.i just had to get back to the car,and once i was back in the cart,i started to calm down. freaked me right out,I'm very much like chloe83(good name,my daughters name lol). home is the only safe place to be. hope you get sorted and get it under control,

I have that - get dizzy and can't breathe, convinced I'm gonna faint! My therapist says 'so what' if that's the worst that happens you'll be ok - people will help you! Also think about how many times we have felt like this but have never actually fainted!! What works for me usually is at the first sign of one to say to myself 'come on then - bring it on! Do your worst!' That invariably stops it. Definitely do not change your route and try to look on it as a personal challenge! You versus the panic - you will win!

i used to be extremely agoraphobiic when my attacks started in 1997 and became practically housebound bar visiting the dr's a million times

i have now found if i drag myself out i actually feel alot better surrounded by others despite the sensations i feel

Quote Originally Posted by leiajulie View Post
    i used to be extremely agoraphobiic when my attacks started in 1997 and became practically housebound bar visiting the dr's a million times

i have now found if i drag myself out i actually feel alot better surrounded by others despite the sensations i feel
    Thanks for replying. I don't feel better after exposure to the situation, that's the trouble. Habituation doesn't seem to happen for me nowadays (it did when I was first treated). I seem to get stuck at "flooding" intensity and stay there - or just below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flooding_%28psychology%29

Quote Originally Posted by chloe83 View Post
    ive been gettin panic attacks the last 12 months they gt so bad,i never leave my house unless i have a drink which is once a werk,the thought of goin outside make me feel ill,the wrse panic attack was when i was walkin in to town with friends,i startef to panic,i had to run home,was so embarrsed
    Sorry to hear it Chloe. I have to admit that sometimes I've had a drink too to try and at least take the edge off my anxiety, but I don't think it's a good idea to get into the habit of doing so I don't do it very often.

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
    trust me,you are not alone at all,ive had a couple of panic attacks but that's it for me, i didn't like it at all. I was in town |(Portsmouth city center). it was so busy i felt myself getting really tense and very uneasy, i didnt trust anyone and started to feel very agitated. my heartbeat when im at home is very low at 35 beats per minute,while in town it must have been up to 200 beats per minute.i just had to get back to the car,and once i was back in the cart,i started to calm down. freaked me right out, I'm very much like chloe83(good name,my daughters name lol). home is the only safe place to be. hope you get sorted and get it under control,
    Thanks! Unfortunately I've had bad PAs at home as well, in fact the one I regard as my worst one was at home I just had to breathe through it and put up with it. There came a point where it didn't get any worse and then gradually dissipated, though it took a long time to dissipate.

They really are the devil's spawn though (can't think of a better phrase this time of the morning). As I've said before I don't think someone who doesn't suffer from bad PAs can appreciate just how bad a bad one can be. It's like having a nightmare except that you don't wake up.

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ihatesnow View Post
    I have that - get dizzy and can't breathe, convinced I'm gonna faint! My therapist says 'so what' if that's the worst that happens you'll be ok - people will help you! Also think about how many times we have felt like this but have never actually fainted!! What works for me usually is at the first sign of one to say to myself 'come on then - bring it on! Do your worst!' That invariably stops it. Definitely do not change your route and try to look on it as a personal challenge! You versus the panic - you will win!
    Thanks! Most of my bad ones now are in towns and cities where I'm either standing or walking on hard unyielding surfaces like tarmac or pavement, so I have to think about the consequences of falling down if I pass out (broken glasses etc., maybe bones). People have actually died from falls when they've hit their head in such circumstances, so although I think that's unlikely it's yet another reason to avoid them.
    Last edited by graham58; 21-04-13 at 08:04.

Hello everyone, I'm so glad I have found this site where there are people like me that suffer from Panic Attacks. Mine actually started when I left the army and was diagnosed with PTSD. I would have up to 6-7 panic attacks a day! And as you know these can be quite draining :( they calmed down for a while but recently they have come back with vengeance. I've tried all the breathing techniques but they don't always work for me :(

Sorry to hear it Antonia, hope you feel better soon.

I used to suffer extreme panic attacks whilst entering a motorway/dual carriageway. A hypnotherapist suggested I pinch my leg and shout STOP out loud (if I was alone in the car) at the first sign of panic.

I still use this technique to this day.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information