Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Panic attacks - what's the worst thing that can happen?

Re: Panic attacks - what's the worst thing that can happen?

Quote Originally Posted by graham58 View Post
    P.S. People who have suffered a full strength panic attack will know what I'm talking about here but (and I'm sorry if this sounds too melodramatic), if for any reason someone's reading this who's fortunate enough not to have experienced one, I feel I should make it clear that I cannot overstate how bad mine get, this one in particular was absolutely crucifying. I don't think I could have coped with it at all without the techniques I've learnt on here so far; try to relax and breathe deeply and "let it happen" without fighting it. Even with those methods, it was a full-on ordeal.
    Hi, please don't take this the wrong way but try not to think that your panic attacks are much worse than other people's. That is just not the case - panic attacks are only as bad as we make them. When panic is happening there isn't really levels, it's the height of our discomfort. If they weren't "crucifying" to everyone, they would not be panic. Panic is when you are right on the edge and can't see a way out, that is what we all have.
    Don't isolate yourself by believing yours are more severe than everyone else's.
    The techniques stop it from getting worse once you start implementing them but the adrenaline will continue regardless and there's nothing we can do unfortunately, however we are all in this together and at the hieght of fear.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Quote Originally Posted by PanchoGoz View Post
    Hi, please don't take this the wrong way but try not to think that your panic attacks are much worse than other people's. That is just not the case - panic attacks are only as bad as we make them. When panic is happening there isn't really levels, it's the height of our discomfort. If they weren't "crucifying" to everyone, they would not be panic. Panic is when you are right on the edge and can't see a way out, that is what we all have.
    Don't isolate yourself by believing yours are more severe than everyone else's.
    The techniques stop it from getting worse once you start implementing them but the adrenaline will continue regardless and there's nothing we can do unfortunately, however we are all in this together and at the hieght of fear.
    Hi Pancho, thanks for replying. I don't think I am saying that mine are worse than everyone else's, and I'm sorry if anyone thinks I'm giving that impression.
    Last edited by graham58; 27-04-13 at 08:51.

Hi Everyone
    for me the worst thing is that i feel dizzy but i dont know it is real or just i image it . can somebody help ?

Graham, we are local to each other. I live in Devon and have major problems with going to Plymouth. So this is just to say that I understand and you have a friend here that isn't far away

http://star2dream.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by star2sparkle View Post
    Graham, we are local to each other. I live in Devon and have major problems with going to Plymouth. So this is just to say that I understand and you have a friend here that isn't far away
    Hi sparkle, thanks for getting in touch. Yeah, there's something about the city which makes it difficult for agoraphobics (maybe it's the fact that it's very "open" because of a combination of its urban planning and the hills, and there sometimes aren't places to find shelter)? I can cope with the city when I have to but it's tough at the moment and I generally prefer not to if I can help it.

Best wishes,

Graham .
    Last edited by graham58; 04-05-13 at 17:58.

Hi there, can totally understand/relate to you all. Had a real knee trembler/tornado head spinner yesterday while walking home, really wanted to drop my shopping and lie down in the street but I did not and with grit determination to see it through I made it home...the worse thing that could happen would be the best thing I.e collapse finally getting some action as opposed to the "oh my god im about to collapse senario"that has never happened in the past 20years!!!!!

Yeah, thanks for replying. I hope you're feeling better now and are getting some help to deal with your head spinners / knee tremblers ("knee tremblers" in my day used to mean something naughty!).

I had a good experience of this recently. On Wednesday afternoon I was waiting for a bus in St Austell in an environment I found very difficult – on the crest of a hill, with distant views and with traffic passing – and after about 10 minutes the fear started to dissipate and the last 25 minutes got easier and easier. It's a phenomenon known in psychology as habituation.

In the ones I call "crucifying" though, such as the one I was referring to above, this doesn't happen; my anxiety valve seems to get stuck open and I don’t get to feel any better.

I wish I could rely on this habituation happening when I get panic attacks or severe anxiety spells; it always used to in the old days when I was younger but doesn't always now.
    Last edited by graham58; 22-08-13 at 11:08.

The worst thing for me is that I go so light headed and I feel i will passout. Things almost go black in my eyes. I don't know why I fear it so much but I have a huge fear of panic attacks incase I faint.

Same here, especially when I'm in an environment where fainting or passing out would have serious consequences (falling down on a pavement, for example, and breaking a bone, my glasses, or even hitting my head and getting a head injury). Things tend to go all white for me rather than black though.
    Last edited by graham58; 22-08-13 at 11:07.

Dont know if this will help, but when you start to feel like you might have a panic attack, just sit down on a bench for five minutes to try and calm down and then try walking again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information