Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too scared to take my antibiotics

Too scared to take my antibiotics

Hi, I have been prescribed antibiotics for a sinus infection which has been dragging on for months now. I have been given a different kind of antibiotic and have now had them for 4 days and have still not taken one. Because they are a) yellow in colour b) very big and c) have to take one every 12 hours, my HA has just gone into overdrive and convinced me that they are not ordinary antibiotics and I will have a allergic reaction to them. I don't know what to do. My husband is at his wits end and I am fed up with being like this.

Re: Too scared to take my antibiotics

Which ones are they?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Clarithromycin 250mg Nic

I am not sure I have taken them but the name rings a bell.

The best thing you can do is take one in the day and go and sit in the doctor's surgery. You could let them know this is why you are sat there just in case you have a reaction.

Then they can treat you there and then.

It is highly unlikely you will react but this is something my doctor suggested to me as I hate taking new drugs as well.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Nic that is a good idea, would be doctor be ok with me doing that? I know I need to take them but one of the side effects is breathlessness and I suffer with this anyway. I have 28 of them to take as well.

Well you could ask them if you can do this. My doc told me to do it when I increased my beta blockers recently as I have ashtma and was really worried I would get a bad asthma attack.

I didn't go and sit at the doctor's. Instead my mum came and spent the afternoon with me and we went out for lunch and because I was distracted I was fine.

It is just one thing you could try I guess.

Hi I've taken them antibiotics for a bad chest infection and it was fine, no side effects at all and Im really med phobic! X x

You could even just go and sit in the waiting room, I bet nobody would ask why you're there and you would have medical staff on hand if you needed them. They will have epi pens there to deal with any allergic reaction ( which I am sure won't happen).

That is what I mean Cattia - sat in the waiting room - not actually in with the doctor.

Thanks all for replies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information