Thread: My colonoscopy experience - with sedation

My colonoscopy experience - with sedation

Hi all,

I posted the other day about being scared about going for a colonoscopy, especially with regards to the sedation as I am phobic of taking meds. Well I'm pleased to report that the sedation is nothing to be afraid of. You don't even notice it and it makes the procedure a lot more bearable.

The procedure itself I found very painful and they couldn't do the whole thing because my bowel was twisted and it was too painful to continue. They found 2 massive polyps in my lower bowel, one that was looking like it was about to go cancerous, which they removed. I urge anyone who has blood in their stool to press for a colonoscopy because I have had blood for years and doctors had refused to refer me and brushed it off as internal hemorrhoids. I don't want to frighten anyone, but I think it's important to follow up all blood with a colonoscopy.

I have to go back for a second procedure to do the rest of my bowel and this time it will be under anaesthetic because of the pain.

On the bright side, I didn't find the process scary at all, despite being very anxious beforehand. The sedative are fantastic adn I would urge anyone who has to have this procedure to go with the sedatives because it makes the whole thing feel like it's over and done with in an instant.

Re: My colonoscopy experience - with sedation

I think you are very brave for having the colonoscopy done. That's good advice for anyone with blood in their stool. I have a fear of doctors so it would be hard for me to do what you did but you have proven that although painful it's nothing to be afraid of.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilharry View Post
    Hi all,

I posted the other day about being scared about going for a colonoscopy, especially with regards to the sedation as I am phobic of taking meds. Well I'm pleased to report that the sedation is nothing to be afraid of. You don't even notice it and it makes the procedure a lot more bearable.

The procedure itself I found very painful and they couldn't do the whole thing because my bowel was twisted and it was too painful to continue. They found 2 massive polyps in my lower bowel, one that was looking like it was about to go cancerous, which they removed. I urge anyone who has blood in their stool to press for a colonoscopy because I have had blood for years and doctors had refused to refer me and brushed it off as internal hemorrhoids. I don't want to frighten anyone, but I think it's important to follow up all blood with a colonoscopy.

I have to go back for a second procedure to do the rest of my bowel and this time it will be under anaesthetic because of the pain.

On the bright side, I didn't find the process scary at all, despite being very anxious beforehand. The sedative are fantastic adn I would urge anyone who has to have this procedure to go with the sedatives because it makes the whole thing feel like it's over and done with in an instant.

Thread Information