Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone overcome Solipsism ocd?

Re: Has anyone overcome Solipsism ocd?

Yep, and this is something that is experienced generally with anxiety and depression also. You just feel you aren't part of things, you're looking down on it all, almost as if you feel more knowing or "above" them. Do your best to engage with people as if nothing was wrong. Keep up a pretence and your thoughts will eventually follow

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Ok, I look forward to the day when I can be with my mom and dad again and not be constantly wondering if they are real. But if other people have made it out the other side I can too.

Been doing my best to redirect my attention, its been working abit. I've managed to have some fun doing stuff. The anxiety is finally easing up, which makes me feel weird. I don't have the panic, but I still have the thoughts and the feeling like Im afraid I believe them, which sucks. Im hoping even if I felt I believed it I could still turn around someday. But at least im moving a few steps forward.

You're getting there don't foce anything, just carry on as normal and don't bother with checking in on it. If you find your thoughts coming back to it, decide whether it's really worth thinking about, then visualise them floating away

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Thanks, it really helps to know that other people have been through this. Did you go through the feeling of believing the thoughts too? Im trying not to force anything, but it feels pretty terrible when you just want life to feel good like it used to. Thanks guys, you all are giving me hope.

Yes I did...it's hard to tell come to think of it if it was me believing the thoughts or my anxiety (I know I'm hogging all the replies again, it's a bad habit :P) When depressed I definitely find negetive thoughts about life get me down. Just the other day I had the thought that the less intelligent a being is, the happier it is, therefore if the knowlegable are less happy then we are more open to reality as it is, which is dark and unhappy. I made myself believe that I would only be happy now if I was ignorant or dead. I was so scared I was going to think myself into suicide. I went for walk though and I managed to reason out that it only makes us unhappy because our minds get bogged down with it all, and the really intelligent beings have the capability of looking at everything neutrally and we have the power to get to that state of mind. I wasn't taking in the positives and negetives of life equally, I was just focusing on one aspect. Then I realised, the reason deep thinking causes me to be unhappy is the way I think about it and the anxious filter I see it through, not the actual thoughts. If I didn't have anxiety, I would be seeing these matters in a totally different light! That made me feel a lot better and I don't believe those scary thoughts anymore. Had I thought of the fact it was anxietey making me feel like this in the first place, I wouldn't have even had to reason the thought out. I could have said to myself, if this is worrying you, wait until you are not feeling anxious and see how much it worries you then, and if it does you can then reason it out. When you're not anxious, funnily enough these problems just seem to float away. Anyway continue focusing on your life, not the problem.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

I'm the same - I find that when I'm anxious, my mind focusses more on existential thoughts and I'm more likely to worry about them. When I'm in a relaxed, happier state of mind, the existential thoughts don't seem to bother me as much - I can dismiss them more easily and get on with my day. Solipsism doesn't bother me so much nowadays, but when I'm anxious I get thoughts about the passing of time, ageing, death and dying, which makes me feel even worse.

I can still remember the sense of loneliness that I felt when I went through my period of worrying about solipsism when I was 19. I remember thinking "What if they're just figments of my imagination?" and that made me feel very alone, even if I was in a room full of people. Furthermore, I was too scared to tell anyone at the time in case they thought I was crazy or in case they laughed it off or didn't understand. So that made me feel even more alone. Due to the theme of solipsism, the derealisation/depersonalisation that I experienced was very strong too. The good thing is, it gradually faded away after a few weeks.

Thats what ive felt for this entire 6 months Sparkle, super loneliness. And im guessing the dp is that sense of losing my identity, like im a stranger. Its weird, on one hand, I know this is caused by anxiety, but theres this feeling that something is just off. Will be seeing a psych, might as well try to get some help if I can.
    And it sure doesnt help that I read about someone whos been battling this for about 14 years :/ That will put the fear in you. Which makes me hyper aware of it being there too. Bleh

Where did you read that, just out of interest? It's amazing how one statement like that can make you feel isn't it...I was like that when I feared tetanus (seems so trivial compared to solopsism lol), I thought I was infected and just wanted to know how long it would be before the symptoms appeared so I would know whether I had it. Googled it, then the first thing I saw was the words "six weeks"! Grrr! Luckily I didn't cont down that long and just forgot about it.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

I read it on stuckinadoorway, an ocd forum I was browsing when I was trying to find help with this issue.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information