Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad is an endoscopy?

How bad is an endoscopy?

I've been told I basically need to get an endoscopy 3 times but ive refused each time because im petrified of it. i can barely swallow tablets never mind a big tube down my throat.

whats your experiences on it? is it really as bad as people say?

Re: How bad is an endoscopy?

No it`s really not that bad, i`ve had about 4 and it lasts about 5mins not even that, it`s uncomfortable but i promise you the thought of it is worse then it is. I can think of better things to be doing lol but you will be fine, an if your really worried you can be sedated which really relaxes you and sometimes you can`t even remember having it done. It`s your decision but try not to worry i know thats easier said then done, take care

Thanks for your reply. It's getting to a point I'm just gonna' have to bite the bullet and get it done, especially if it only lasts for a few minutes

Hi there,

I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy last August and I was terrified. I had the sedation and it was a piece of cake. I don't remember anything at all about the procedure.

I had sedation for mine and can't remember anything about it at all.

Hi Fergie1065.

I was told I needed one for years and would never do as I was so worried about it in the end I gave in and had it done.

But for me they did it a different way the when through the nose (transnasal endoscopy) no sedation needed and just a little spray and that was it when via the nose cuts down on the gag reflex and it was cool went really well.

I think most of the people on nmp who have had a endoscope done have said it was not as bad as they have read on the internet and I agree.

Get it done and over with.

You will be ok

I had an endoscopy a while ago and it was absolutely fine. I was really edgy but the staff where I went were so lovely and I took the sedation and I remember nothing about it. I would do it again if I had to and it is really nothing to worry about.

I did it without sedation and it was a piece of cake, so I imagine it would be even easier with sedation. Just do it, it's not that bad and you will be so relieved after.

Mine is on Wednesday this week so I'm pretty damn anxious.. I'm glad it went all well for you Lilharry. I'm going to ask to be sedated because I'm terrified of gagging and worried that I might be sick.

.....and a ninja.

Me too, I had one years back, the thought of it is worse than the procedure. Once you have it done you will be wondering why you worried so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information