Thread: Almost 6 weeks in and new side effects?

Almost 6 weeks in and new side effects?

Hi all,

I am almost 6 weeks into my 20mg Citalopram course. I am now starting to experience more strange feelings and would like to know if anyone else has experienced this.

My legs and arms are weak, and I am constantly feeling like I have had a fright. You know when you get the tingles and butterflies when you are either extremely excited, or if you have just had a big fright. I'm also quite lightheaded.

Not sure if this is a belated set of side effects or if the dose is too low/high. I am due to see my doc again at the end of this month.

I was starting to feel good in week three, but now feel like I'm heading backwards again instead of the good times getting more and more.

Re: Almost 6 weeks in and new side effects?

Hi there Liviguy,

Well done for sticking with it, 6 weeks and you are getting there! I know how hard it is, In my 1st 2 months I had real ups and downs with the anxiety and the side effects, some weeks good... then all of a sudden side effects were back or bothering me again. Now though.... 99% of the tie everything is good!

I think I know what you mean about feeling weak, I certainly felt tired and quite fattigued on and off to start with, I am not sure if its related or will help you but I also found drinking alot of water helped. I don't think citalopram effects hydration per say, but if I didn't drink enough water in the day I really find I feel the effects far more so that when I wasn't on the tablets.

As for the dose, I think its best you ask your GP, and about the side effects too just for some reassurance. I know you said you have a check up soon, but perhaps you could go back before then, or when I started on mine, I spoke to the Dr on the phone a few times, just to check what was happening was ok, and this make me feel alot better .

Wishing you all the best and well done for hanging in there!

C

Thanks for your reply. I am awaiting a call back from my doc to explain how I am feeling and to see what she suggests. My mood is still a lot more 'lifted' than before I started, I just feel really nervous and shaky.

Livi, I have felt like that. I interpreted the symptom as the medication dulling what would have been a full blown Panic Attack.
    I did go up on my dose to 30mg 6 days ago.
    My nausea is gone, the burning sensations I was getting on my skin is much better, I still have some insomnia at night but I am not anxious at night. Today is the second morning that I woke up without the tight chest feeling and without the sense of dread that I've had for the last 2 months every single morning.
    A couple of days ago I was having a rough time and cried a lot but I think this was due to having an argument with my hubby.
    Let's see how today goes. My Anxiety has diminished very gradually and so I have noticed that it went from a full Panic Attack, to burning skin, to tingling skin, to butterflies, to weakness on my arms and legs....
    You might be experiencing some anxiety and the medication might be working to dull it, I think that's it....

Thanks Chic.

I too have the tingly weak arms and legs just now. Although my anger has been reduced to almost zero which is great for me and my family as I was always shouting at the kids. Now I am more chilled and their behaviour has improved. The more I shouted, the more they played up.

I spoke with my doc yesterday and she told me not to worry. I'm seeing her on Tuesday and we will discuss more how I'm feeling and if we need to alter my meds.

Thread Information