Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on private CBT

Re: Advice on private CBT

I get mine through Anxiety UK. £25 for a face to face session, but my therapist is something special and we have been having behavioural therapy for aspergers for 6 months. I think in all that time I might have had 6 sessions, the rest of her support has been by email and phone calls that she has not charged for.

Finding the cause of my difficulties has made it relatively easy to improve on my own, something I could never do before.

Getting a good therapist who is experienced with mental health issues is crucial - you don't want an NHS "trainee".

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I agree with going with a more qualified therapist.

I was diagnosed, by my GP with PTSD in 2008 & initially had 6wks counselling therapy - CBT at my GP surgery, this was extended to last 6mths but i wasnt making any progress. In the end she said she was out of her depth & my symptoms were just getting worse.

My GP suggested I be referred to community mental health team only for me to be told there was a 6mth waiting list to see a psychologist and as they dont accept patients diagnosed by GP's it would be a year before I could get any therapy. With this in mind my gp suggested I look for a private psychologist but she was not allowed to recommend anyone, what a ridiculous situation.

Well I took a risk, googled ptsd therapists in my area & luckily fell on my feet! Bristol Trauma Clinic is run by psychiatrists & psychologists. My psychologist put me at ease from the first phone call with her. The difference in counselling & psychotherapy is tremendous, we used EMDR & a number of other talking therapies according to how my ptsd presented itself at the time. It was tough & it took me a long time to trust my T but I have no regrets, it is expensive but you are in control & never left feeling time is running out. Another bonus of having a private therapist is some of them are happy for you to contact them between appointments. I found that very helpful just knowing she was at the end of the phone if things got too difficult, I only rang her a few times but could also email her. Therapy isnt a cure but it goes along way too it.

I continued with therapy for 3yrs, at first weekly, then 2 weekly & so on. I haven't seen her since July last year & am pleased to say I am feeling very stable in fact well enough for my gp to agree to me reducing my medication.

If you can afford to go private try to think of it as an investment in the rest of your life, you only have one, time to live it!

Some great advice and very good information here I found it helpful too

I'm really struggling finding a private therapist at the moment. They are so expensive so I want to make sure I get the right one.
    I've looked at lots on the Internet but I'm still not sure what to do-I want a proper CBT therapist but I'm going round in circles!

If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best.

annette, your story is great. you have done so well.
    your advice is spot on.
    i think one of the key bits (that goes through my mind when people are given a limited number of appointments) is that from my experience, it is better when therapy is open ended and the time to wind it down, becomes apparent as you go along.
    I'm seeing my counsellor at the moment; have been doing so for a year. I keep feeling like I should be getting better more quickly & worry I am taking too long over everything. But she has told me I can carry on coming as long as I feel it necessary.
    Because I have done CBT before (mine took a similar amount of time to yours) and because of that, it's been ok seeing a counsellor.
    AS you put it, an investment in your future. that is very very true. I am so glad I did cbt/therapy & that's why i recommend it to others.

How much are people willing to pay for therapy? Money is an issue so would you prefer to pay more for an experienced therapist and see them less often (e.g. once a fortnight and for a shorter time e.g. 6 sessions) or see a cheaper one and be able to see them once a week and for longer? Any thoughts...?

(Just saw this thread...)

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoPoet View Post
    I get mine through Anxiety UK. £25 for a face to face session, but my therapist is something special and we have been having behavioural therapy for aspergers for 6 months. I think in all that time I might have had 6 sessions, the rest of her support has been by email and phone calls that she has not charged for.

Finding the cause of my difficulties has made it relatively easy to improve on my own, something I could never do before.

Getting a good therapist who is experienced with mental health issues is crucial - you don't want an NHS "trainee".
    That sounds good. When you pay £25 for a face to face session, do you have to travel to a particular place, or does the therapist travel to a place that's convenient for you? Also, can you get sessions outside of standard working hours (such as evenings or weekends)?

Thanks steveo for posting inf on BABCP - I went on their website and accessed therapists in my area...

I feel really anxious about contacting a therapist (I am housebound and have OCD) and so a therapist would either have to come to my home or it would be over the phone. I am still nervous about people being in my house. I have emailed all 3 in my area explaining my situation and asking their fees. Do I then see all 3 and then choose one I think I can work with? I have never had private therapy and don't know how it all works when you are a paying client. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am still doing Robins CBT4Panic which is great - but I keep getting stuck - I let the fear get in the way and it is such a lonely road by yourself to try and tackle being housebound.

ps I think reading between the lines of the posts it seems people are willing to pay more for an experienced therapists. Just see them less often?

Posted earlier by Steveo..http://cbttherapist.com/dir/accreditation/
    Reading this link may make your head sore (it did mine), but it appears to be something anyone who is thinking of paying for CBT sessions needs to read carefully. Quite frankly this whole area ("industry") needs to be much more tightly regulated IMHO as there is clearly scope for people to, eh, not quite get what they think they are paying for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information