Thread: Mirtazapine withdrawal

Mirtazapine withdrawal

Can anyone give me any indication on how long Mirtazapine withdrawal lasts? I was mainly on 30mg since last October and at first I thought it was wonderful. However after about 3 weeks the depression came back. I was then put on Escitalopram to take in conjunction. I had previously taken citalopram and it had kept me well for years until a double bereavement last year. After trying a week at 45mg and my anxiety sky rocketing, Psychiatrist decided to take me off Mirtazapine to my relief as I always believed it did nothing for me but make me eat and sleep.
    I tapered down over about 4 weeks and have been completely off it for nearly 3 weeks and I am feeling extremely sick, awful headaches and tingling in my head as well as anxiety. This time last week I felt better than I do now. Has anyone got any experience of this (i know everyone is different). I just need reassuring that this will pass soon and if it normal for it to come and go. I have recently started back at work and am fed up of feeling rubbish.

Re: Mirtazapine withdrawal

I have withdrawn from mirtazapine and the withdrawal is not very nice. I remember feeling extremely panicky, anxious and panic attacks unable to sleep and very weepy. I am not sure how long the withdrawals went on for but I do remember going back on it the first time because the experience was similar to the original illness. Diazepam helped the second time around and I successfully came off it. All I can say is that the feelings will not last. It might be an idea chatting to your GP to decide whether it is the mirt causing the problems? I hope you feel better soon. EJ

I don't recall having any withdrawal symptoms beyond a few weeks. The only thing that persisted was that Mirt made me sweat a lot and it took a month or two before that went.

I would imagine that you should be near the end of it now, so hang in there. Try and relax if you can and tell yourself these are just temporary effects that will pass.

Thanks for your replies. It's the headaches and funny fuzzy feeling I have in my head that are bothering me the most as the nausea seems to be letting up a bit. Oh and muscle tension in my neck and insomnia. The thing is I never had any of these until I started reducing and stopped the mirtazapine. But the Dr's say you don't get withdrawal from it which is complete rubbish. Will it just stop or gradually fade away?

Thread Information