Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do the same SSRI's work second time round?

Re: Do the same SSRI's work second time round?

Hi Steve I've been on and off cit since i was 18 and its always worked brilliantly for me but this time around it was absolute hell, the side effects were unbearable but i stuck it out for 4 months before admitting defeat, my psychiatrist said its common for ADs not to work as well or at all second or third time around as your body gets sort of immune to that certain AD, i then tried mirt which sent me a suicidal mess andso was quickly changed to venlafaxine which Im still struggling to get the dosage right, all i can say is don't struggle on for months like i did hoping the cit will kick in cause those months were the worst of my life so i understand exactly what your going through now x x

Well I just don't know what to do then.

The cit didn't work. The Escitalopram doesn't seem to be working.

Which means my next step is to either up my dose or to gamble with trial and error on some other med that initially is a dead cert to make me feel absolute HELL for at LEAST 2-3 weeks all over again.

I can't keep doing this.

It's an awful and daunting place to be. Going through the hell of the start up process on numerous AD has led to me becoming really anxious about taking any meds now, I'm sure this is a common occurrence.

I've been where you are now are its awful, I really feel for you. The only thing I can think of is to maybe give one of the tricyclics a try. A few are being prescribed now off label for anxiety.

Good luck Steveo and I'm sorry I can't be of more help x

Hi Steve

It's a horrible decision to have to make, and one that's not easy especially when you get no help from the ad with your symptoms.

I agree with both points that Nicola and Bernie say, but only you can make that decision Steve. Even when the gp or psych make a suggestion we still go through this turmoil, do I change do I stay it's a nightmare and your not alone in thinking like you do.

Are you on 10mg of cipralex? How about upping it to say 15mg see how that goes it can't be as bad as going onto another ad. I think that's probably what a go would suggest.

Cipralex at 20mg stopped working for me after few years on it, hence going on venlafaxine.

Take care x

My next step will be to try upping to 15mg Cipralex before I change. But thats another month at least of just waiting.

I'm in a hellish situation which is adding so much stress and fear on my already stressed and feared condition.

Can't even get out of bed as my knees buckle from panic. If I'm not in absolute tears and panic, im terribly depersonalised and numb and can't connect with the world around me and can't believe I'm really here. It's like this is a dream world.

Steve i really feel for you, i have been exactly where you are now and its horrific but i promise you you will get better, i know it doesn't feel like that at the min but you will, take your diazepam to help you through, thinking of you x x

I don't know what else I can do. I'm spending most of my days curled up in a ball rocking.

Steve,

Just another thought

I know you don't really like taking the diazepam but! 3what about upping them to give you some restbite from the way you feel. It won't be the diazepam doing things to your body as they give you the calming feeling. And the way your feeling right now 4mg a day might not even be touching your system.

Just think about it, just a suggestion as I was on more than that at the beginning of my episode.. You need just a good day to get you back up there like a few weeks back.

Perhaps have a word with your gp, you must be feeling your own your own through this nightmare now.

Yeah I might up my diazepam but that's just wallpapering over cracks for now. 40 days into Escitalopram and I'm in hell. I don't think another week or 2 will really make a big difference. Im going to have to up my diazepam if I up or change meds.

I'm just so so scared of doing it

Steven,

I think I've said before but beta blockers can be a life saver for the physical symptoms. They work a treat for me and really helped with the AD start-up effects. A GP wanted to prescribe diazepam for me but I wouldn't take it so I got beta blockers instead. They're not addictive at all and just slow the heart rate, stop the shakes and palpitations, and make you feel calmer.

It just depends if it's physical symptoms giving you grief.

Pip x

Btw, it was the wallpapering over the cracks issue that stopped me wanting diazepam - I always like to think I can find a longer-term solution.

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information