Thread: Worried about increasing the dosage.... help please!

Unhappy Worried about increasing the dosage.... help please!

I saw my Dr today and he has suggested increasing my Citalopram from 20mg to 40mg as I am still feeling very anxious and down in the mornings. Just after lunch time I tend to improve. I am really worried that by increasing the dosage that I might have all the horrid side effects again. I spoke to the pharmacist and she advised starting on 30mg. Has anyone had any experience of upping their dose?

Re: Worried about increasing the dosage.... help please!

I increased my dose from 20mg to 30mg 5 days ago now and I haven't noticed any increase in side effects or Anxiety. I have been having some bad anxiety but I think this has been due to having problems with hubby in the last 2-3 days. I had a little bit of nausea in the morning but not bad and I did not experience loss of apetite so far. As far as sleeping I have been having a hard time sleeping but again this is due to having problems with hubby, I have just been thinking a lot at night but I am not Anxious in the night like I was before.
    Also at 20mg I was having pretty bad burning skin which has gotten less intense ever since I started taking30mg.
    I was very scared to up the dose but I think I am feeling better since upping it, although I am not completely Anxiety free yet. My GP said to take 30mg for 2 weeks and then to go all the way up to 40mg. Last time I was taking Citalopram I was at 40mg and I heard that this is the best dose for Anxiety. You can always take and anti-anxiety medication if it makes you more anxious....
    How long have you been taking Citalopram?

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Oh I just saw on another post of yours tha you have been on it for about 6 weeks. It will be 6 weeks for me on Thursday...
    I think that if I had not had that argument with my hubby on Sunday and Monday I would have been ok in the last 2 days as I think I did pretty good on Saturday....

Thanks

It's good to know that we are both about at the same stage. I am on day 2 of 30mg, I am going to see how that goes for a couple of weeks before upping (if I need to) to 40mg. I took it yesterday for the first time and had no side effects but had a really bad nights sleep I woke up so many times. I can put up with the sleeping issue as long as the meds work for the anxiety. Keep in touch so we can compare! Sorry to hear you are having issues with your husband that doesn't help when you are trying to overcome anxiety. x

Karen x

Hey I've been on citalopram for 5 years. I am just about to go up to 40mg tomorrow after being on 30mg the past year. I, like yourself have been anxious and down mostly in the mornings and for the past 7 days its been like this. So tomorrow I go up to 40mg and will take some xanax until the increase kicks in. You are not alone.

I had awful side effects when starting Citalopram but very little side effects once on it, and increasing dose. I can't really remember any problems going from 20 to 30, or 30 to 40. Generally once it's in your system, dose increases shouldn't cause you much problems.

Forgot to mention the only side-effect I ever had increasing dosage was feeling better for it. I'm on it 5 years and have increased and decreased doses many times. If you google 'side effects' you will get lots of horror stories but thats all they are really is stories. I often find I get symptoms that I read about and if I don't read about them then I don't get them.

Thread Information