Thread: Re;off work sick with anxiety

Re;off work sick with anxiety

Hello, I suffer from depression and anxiety.i have been signed off from work by the doctore for 3 weeks. I should have gone back to work on Monday but I still felt completely crippled by anxiety. I am intending to go back on Friday but the anxiety I have is worsened by returning to work.i worry about what people will be thinking about me and all the questioning people will be giving me. Does anyone else have this fear or guilt feelings on return to work?

Re: Re;off work sick with anxiety

I felt exactly the same. Its a vicious circle. I was off for 4 weeks and the day before I was due back I was hysterical. My anxiety went through the roof and I was petrified what it would be like and how would they react. The day I went back I was shaking but kept saying I have to do this and when I got there I walked through the door and it was like nothing had changed. The thought is always worse than the actual event. My colleagues were great and just left me alone and I knew they were there if I wanted to talk about it.

I did have some valium from doc but was not on Sertraline then which I am now and I am still working. Its not easy but I would rather be there than sit at home and worry myself sick. I'm not saying its easy as I still have alot of bad days at work but whats the worst than can happen I say, if I have to go home I will!

I hope you get there and always remember the actual event is not as bad as the thought.

thank you for replying. it has given me some reassurance that it hopefully wont be as bad going back as i fear.
    Like yourself i am on Sertraline now.i am being weaned off of seroxat and was put on Sertraline 2 weeks ago. I hope it helps me . How have you found being on it?

I had to take a week off work due to anxiety last year, and I was very nervous about what people would say when I went back. Fortunately no-one asked me any intrusive questions, they just said things like "Are you feeling better now?" and "We're glad you're back, we missed you". My manager knew why I was off sick, as I'd already sent him my doctor's certificate, and I had a return-to-work interview when I went back. He asked if anything at work could've triggered it, and if there was anything he or the company could do to make things easier for me. I'd recently started a new role and was nervous about how I'd cope, and there had been lots of recent changes in the department, so I asked to be put on a training course, and also to be given advance warning of any major changes. This was all agreed to.

Even though I think the stress of work changes had contributed to the anxiety episode, the theme of the anxiety was to do with morbid thoughts like death and dying. I don't know why it manifested itself in that way.

So returning to work wasn't as bad as I'd feared, and hopefully it will be the same for you.

Have you read any of Dr. Claire Weekes books? I just found some quotes someone posted here years ago. You might feel a little better after you read them. You can find them here: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...84#post1152584

Quote Originally Posted by Goosey01 View Post
    Hello, I suffer from depression and anxiety.i have been signed off from work by the doctore for 3 weeks. I should have gone back to work on Monday but I still felt completely crippled by anxiety. I am intending to go back on Friday but the anxiety I have is worsened by returning to work.i worry about what people will be thinking about me and all the questioning people will be giving me. Does anyone else have this fear or guilt feelings on return to work?

I've found that letting go the guilt around it is something that has helped me most. You wouldn't feel bad if you'd been off work due to a broken leg or some other kind of illness, so why should you feel bad about being off work due to anxiety? It's an illness like anything else. You just have to not worry about what other people think and remind yourself that you are taking good care of yourself and doing what is right for you. The people who don't get it or who are judgemental are not worth your time worrying about - seriously, who cares what they think anyway? It's not their life. You are entitled to get well and look after yourself, it's all part of the healing process.

I feel the same, I have been off work for 6 weeks and the doctor has just signed me off for another 2 weeks. I am worried about going back to work but also about the amount of time I have had off. My boss has been brilliant and the company also. They are sorting out 6 counselling sessions for me which the company will pay for. I worry about going to work, getting there as I have to drive on a really busy motorway (traffic jams etc) for an hour - eeeeeek. I agree that the anticipatory anxiety is probably worse that the actual event.

Thread Information