Thread: Asking for a specific brand at the pharmacy?

Asking for a specific brand at the pharmacy?

Having had two days of a dodgy tummy on 2.5mg citalopram (yes, that low a dose, but I want to work up slowly) I wondered whether the specific brand is to blame for some of the side effects? I last took citalopram a year ago for 5 weeks but stopped because of a number of side effects, despite it making me feel a bit less depressed/anxious. I'm want to give it a proper trial this time, but was wondering whether some of the gastro effects could be minimised by taking a different brand?

My prescription states citalopram 10mg - would a pharmacy give me Cipramil brand if I asked for it or would it have to be specifically marked on the prescription form by the GP?

Re: Asking for a specific brand at the pharmacy?

I don't know about cit. but I've had loads of different brands of Prozac and had liquid as well as capsules & all seemed to be the same. But maybe cit. is different do you think? I don't know if the pharmacies buy in bulk, but every other time I pick up my script, the rand is different seemingly. There is no rhyme or reason to it in my experience Emphyrio. Sorry 2hear about your tummy by the way, that's not very pleasant for you.

Thanks Tessar - some people do seem to be able to change between various generic brands quite easily, while others struggle on the other hand. I think its to do not with the active ingredient as such, but the 'fillers' in the capsules.

In a word, no. These are all manufactured to pretty exact standards regardless of brand. I used to use several pharmacies and my Citalopram (and later, Mirtazapine) seemed to be a different brand each time, it made no difference at all. I know it's easy to worry about it - I did too - but don't

Where are you at with this Emphyrio?

Its getting better, but I've had a couple of days of anxiety and intrusive thoughts which may be a result of the citalopram getting into my system so to speak. It may also be the result of a few days of less than ideal sleep, being hungover yesterday, or drinking caffeine.

I guess I need to give it time. One thing's for sure though - I'm staying on 5mg until my body gets used to it...

Sounds like a wise decision, I am hoping you can continue to keep on an even keel

Thread Information