Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First four days on Citalopram

First four days on Citalopram

I have taken my citalopram as advised by the Dr in the mornings as she said it will keep me awake, my panic however has been much much worse. Today I have decided not to take it until before bed. Does anyone else take it at night?

Re: First four days on Citalopram

Meds affect everyone differently, so taking them at night time may well work for you. It's worth a try.

Citalopram is an SSRI antidepressant, and they can often make anxiety worse in the beginning. This is actually a sign that they are starting to work, and will eventually work well for you, so it's not all bad news. I hope you can get through this difficult time at the beginning, and that they will help you.

I took mine on a morning for first 4 weeks but when my doc increased dosage last week I was worse and started to wake up in middle of night and not go back to sleep... I switched on Thursday to taking on a night and GP has altered dose slightly and last night I actually slept till half 5 this morning and went back to sleep. Edie is right though citalopram does take time to work properly so u must be patient... I have good and bad days but Edies comment saying that its a sign the meds will work has given me renewed hope. Good luck x

Thank you Edie and bshadar,
    I am determined to ride it through. I am just worried about going out which I have been pretty much unable to do so. I have an appointment in town on Tuesday and I am thinking of asking my gp for so Diazepam just until the citalopram really kicks in. What do you guys think?

I can't really answer this. My GP gave me a script last week for diazepam but I am reluctant to use it. She only gave it to me to help me to get some sleep

I've tried taking my citalopram at all different times of the day and it seems that the best one for me is at midday. I am also on diazepam too and I've been on citalopram for 1 yr and 7 months. Going on to the medication was very difficult for me as were attempts to up my dose. During these times of heightened anxiety and panic my dosage of diazepam was upped. it is quite rare I believe for people to be prescribed diazepam the way i am, (I've had it for years), but doctors are usually happy i n my experience to prescribe short courses to get you through the worst of the initial symptoms
    I've crossed lines of words and wire, and both have cut me deep. I've been frozen out and I've been on fire, and the tears are mine to weep. But I can cry until I laugh, or laugh until I cry. So cut the deck right in half, I'll play from either side.

http://poohsworld-pooh.blogspot.com/

I took my citalopram just before bed last night and whilst I did not sleep very well I feel so much better this morning. I am amazed. I even went into a couple of shops just to test myself and found the panic level very minor. My doctor has given me some Diazepam but I am hoping I will not need it.
    Last edited by fermina77; 29-04-13 at 10:22.

I'm pleased it helped and you even managed to get out. Hope you get a better sleep tonight.

Thank you Edie. I just cannot believe how much better I feel. I have a clear head for the first time in years. I wish I had not taken so long to seek help.

I take my Cit in the mornings, I have been taking them for 6 weeks and they are just doing the trick now. These type of tablets DO take a while to work so hang on in there. I wasn't sleeping at all well but the last couple of nights it has improved slightly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information