Thread: keeping fit

keeping fit

I didnt know where to post this
    I am wanting to lose weight and get fit, apart from walking what fitness do you do and has it helped with your panic/anx
    I am thinking of aerobics at home or pilates

Re: keeping fit

Some people like a social aspect to their exercising but I would hate it, I tend to do things alone at my own pace. I have an exercise DVD I do and enjoy. It's a Weigh****chers one so it's not impossible for me to complete, unlike a few others I have tried. There are different sections of 5-10 mins each so you can mix and match.

I used to belong to a women-only gym where you do a half an hour circuit consisting of 3 mins each on different equipment. Again, it wasn't impossible to complete and I know those places have their critics, theyre no good for people who are already very fit, but it was ideal for me at the time. I would never have joined an ordinary gym but that place was just right. I let my membership lapse when I was away and haven't renewed it, but I know I should.

I know you mentioned it in your post but walking is, in my opinion, the greatest anxiety-buster of all. Have you tried setting yourself challenges that you can build up to? Time/distance ones or periods of normal then fast walking?

All exercise is good for anxiety, it's just a case of finding something you personally enjoy. Good luck, Torri xx

Well I have a crosstrainer which I use so I just watch abit of tv while im on it lol but ive a good amount of weight on it also I use the wii fit :-)

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

And swimming too when I get chance its good for your mind well I think it is for mine :-)

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

Lost a good amount of weight I ment lol

I started pilates a couple of weeks ago and I am really enjoying it.

thanks everyone, i do walk alot as i dont drive, i just wanted to do something else but not pay for it....i have just got myself a bike so i think this is the way forward for me.....i hope it works as i dont want this anx/panic anymore and i am trying anything

Swimming is good and not too expensive if you go to a council pool. Xx

Torri - exercise seems to help (me at any rate) reduce the anxiety. Even as little as 30 minutes a day. I have a cross trainer at home. If you can get out and about that is brilliant and it opens up things like cycling outdoors and jogging (which are free).

What you should do to get active depends on your age, weight and level of fitness. I run, swim and lift weights, it keeps me in great condition. It feels great when I do it, and the healthy eating is good too.

I think it eliminates my anxiety, because I don't notice it much. It even helps with depression a little bit but I don't do much exercise when I enter a cycle.

I have an exercise bike which is brilliant - a good work out watching TV or listening to music - and I do pilates too ("Pilates for Dummies"), which has helped a lot.

I also agree with SarahSarah about walking. I do feel it is underrated particularly if you have anywhere nice to go like woods, park or beach.

Start off slowly and above all do something you enjoy that is half the battle! I have an exercise bike which I plonk in front of the tv, I also go cycling when the weather is ok. Walking to me is one of the best forms of exercise. I also love doing stuff on the wii..... am into wii zumba at the moment and wii fit!!! Anything is better than nothing!

Thread Information