Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why won't doctors prescribe diazepam?

Why won't doctors prescribe diazepam?

I know it is addictive, but which is better - being on and off medication for anxiety (rather than mind altering antidepressants that make you want to top yourself, even after a month and a half, not to mention a whole host of other side effects that are unbearable), or having to drink every day to calm your nerves? I had the best night's sleep in weeks last night, and don't wake up feeling so anxious I am sick any more.

Doctors are too willing to dole out antidepressants like smarties, when they can be highly dangerous in some people (especially young people like me in the high suicide risk group), yet they won't prescribe medication that, if used responsibly when needed, has far fewer side effects and allows you to function as a human being again?

The NHS is a joke. I guess it's back to the wine again, despite the fact that it makes me feel far worse in myself the following day.

I'm sorry for the nature of my post, I just had to get it off my chest.

Catherine x

Re: Why won't doctors prescribe diazepam?

I agree with you Catherine, a lot of people are taken in by the scare mongering about Diazepam but if you are responsible and take it under the guidance of your GP in my opinion it's ok.

I get a regular prescription for diazepam and some times I'll take it everyday then other times I don't have it for weeks. I keep a record and if I've taken it everyday for more than 3 weeks I make myself go 7 days without to check I'm not addicted and not once have I had any sign of withdrawal which would indicate addiction.

I found SSRI and SNRI Antidepressants to be awful they made me so ill and were a nightmare to come off, but I was never warned about the withdrawal from these. I had a horrid time getting off venlafaxine and I will never take these drugs again.

I totally agree with Catherine and Bernie. I get prescribed diazepam ,only because 28 lasts me about 3 months. Anti depresents make me feel really terrible. At times though, I feel I need to take a diazapam but cant because gp is so strict. I know they are addictive but when gp knows the level of anxiety and a person is responsible, more lee-way should be given.

Snap!!! I totally agree with you all.
    Whats more addictive and dangerous than alcohol and cigarettes?
    My doctors wont prescribe diazapam.
    At least the doctors know what you are taking and how many.
    It really doesnt make sense to me.

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1977 View Post

I found SSRI and SNRI Antidepressants to be awful they made me so ill and were a nightmare to come off, but I was never warned about the withdrawal from these. I had a horrid time getting off venlafaxine and I will never take these drugs again.
    I agree bernie - they dish ssri's out like sweets but don't tell you that they are horrendous to come off. I am still to scared to take diazepam (because I think I would become addicted as I cannot even come off prozac now and that is not supposed to be addictive). In hindsight I would never have gone on the medication route with ssri's.

Quote Originally Posted by little wren View Post
    I agree bernie - they dish ssri's out like sweets but don't tell you that they are horrendous to come off. I am still to scared to take diazepam (because I think I would become addicted as I cannot even come off prozac now and that is not supposed to be addictive). In hindsight I would never have gone on the medication route with ssri's.
    I definitely agree with you. I have already tried Prozac and Citalopram - the latter I came off this week, and I could just not stop being sick. Now, on the diazepam, I am eating a normal amount and my weight has gone back up. But they won't give me any more after this last prescription.

Instead, they want me on Mirtazapine or Sertraline. I am so scared.
    Last edited by Catherine84; 29-08-13 at 01:50.

Hi all!!
    I am in Australia & am interested that u all seem to have my same gripe. I drink FAR too much & have been honest with my GP about this. He still won't prescribe anything for my severe anxiety/ocd but SSRI's which dont work...so i now am taking temazepam (sleeping tabs) before i go to the bank or post office. Basically Anything to get me out of the house & beat the agoraphobia. I dont like being drunk but it seems to be my only option to actually get out of my house & pay bills or i am going to lose my house/power etc. surely a prescribed yet addictive drug would be better than me drinking a bottle of bourbon a day?!?! Yes i feel desperate & drunk or i would not be on this site. Just wondering if anything is different in UK....is it that Dr's get held responsible for prescribing anything addictive but its ok if their patients top themselves with alcohol? ?

Why won't doctors prescribe diazepam?

Because they've been told that it is addictive, and that is bad.

I think the reality is somewhat more complex - just needing it to function reasonably every day does not make it "addictive", as such.

The problem is not people suffering from anxiety who need it to survive and become dependent (they usually stay on a steady dose for many years), but recreational drug users who get hooked and start doctor shopping to feed their habit.

GPs need to learn to distinguish between the two categories of people.

I have to say the 4 diazepam tablets I have taken have really helped me through the worst days.

I only have 2 left and they won't give me any more, so I am keeping them in case of dire emergency.

As I was saying above , I do get prescribed them ,but I have to make them last.
    I had a funeral today and have been dreading it all week. I took half before going out and half when I came in because I was shaking.
    Its only because I make them last I get them.
    I really do think the gps are awful strict.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information