Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ANSWER

The ANSWER

Hello Everybody, I had panic attacks a few years ago, and I know I had them as bad as they can get and was even housebound so I don't want anybody saying it's different for them.I know if your looking up websites obviously you want to get better.You might feel that there is nothing and you are just waiting for that answer.I dont't care who you are or where you live,there is nothing wrong with you, so get up and stop feeling sorry for yourself and enjoy your life.Go to the shop,go for a walk or do what ever scares you.What are you afraid of? Nothing is going to happen to you physically.I promise you that if you do what your afraid of, you will be able to come back later and post a positive message.I know that in your head your trying to talk yourself out of it,but please,Listen to me.You can have a normal life if you want,and you can feel much closer to achieving that,by going out that door now. I have done it,sometimes it was difficult.But every time I came home,I felt so happy.I know there's gonna be some people,"It's Not That Easy".Honestly,I don't give a crap,I'm not going to listen to them because they are the ones who are panicing.I am the one that got better and I am the one that beat it and I know what is the right thing to do.If you want this gone as much as I did you'll make that step,not that excuse. I want you to tell me how good you feel when you come back later.

Gerry

Don't go into counselling Gerry, but I am glad that you got better.
    Christine

Nothing like a "one size fits all" answer to a personal issue (personal being the operative word there!) :(

Well, your post made me chuckle anyway Gerry.

Jim

Gerry,

I do understand what you are trying to do, but you have to realise we are all different people. We all have different personalities and things/situations which make us all panic. If it was easy for everyone just to say that today I will be rid of this panic, do you not think we would all do it.

Do you honestly think we all want to spend our time in fear?

I am pleased that you have overcome your anxiety.

sadie

Hello Gerry,

I am also over my panic and anxiety and I do agree with you that repetition without incident is the way forward. Everyone who has been on this site for a few days or more also knows that.

However, to say there is nothing wrong with youis incorrect. There is a disorder/overload of the nervous system present and whilst we know that it is not a terminal disorder, it can be incredibly disabling and difficult to overcome depending on available energy levels and your current endocrine function to name a couple.

Sometimes when this has been building up over many years or several life events occur within a short space of time, your nervous system does require time to heal and to do as you suggest in the very early days will make matters worse.

I know what is the right thing to do- I'm pleased that you found this out yourself and were successful. Many are not that fortunate, they have bene misdignosed for years, the original issues leading to anxiety are still present hindering recovery and they may have inherited predispositions to this.

None of these prevent anyone doing as you did and recovering but sometimes some people need more support and reassurance than others. As you became housebound yourself, you know exactly how terrifying it can be.

It is easy in hindsight to be so directional and matter of fact, but I remember very well just how hard it was to drive up the motorway alone the first time after panic, I threw up several times within the first few miles and really thought ' this was it' yet I survived and I too pushed back those boundaries until I was free of panic. However, it certainly did not just go overnight.

It takes patience , positivity, proactiveness and persistance.

Thank you for posting and sharing your story. It is always good to hear success stories.

Meg

Sorry guys but I disagree with you, You can make the change if you want.One of you said it's not that simple and my answer isn't for everyone.Well if you came and saw what I did and how I felt,you'd believe me too.The best way to get over it is to do what your afraid of,see that nothing happens, do it again and again and again and tadaaa you realise that there is nothing to be afraid of and your better.I don't mean to be rude,people look for excuses not to do something, thats what these replies suggest to me.I made excuses too but then I just trusted that nothing would happen and it didn't.Everyone here is suffering from panic attacks not physical illnesses. You will not die,you will not faint. Basically you are over reacting to harmless situations.When I say these things,i'm not being mean I just want to help you,but people need the push and if someone doesn't push you you don't take action.When your out and you feel a panic coming on,just think,firstly I can't breath properly because I am nervous.People feel they need to flee or they need to panic...you don't, just carry on and you will be fine.That is what people think when they are short of breath that they need to panic and then deep breath to relax but you don't.If you don't panic your breathing may still be hyperventilating slowly,but this does nothing...it makes you feel light headed but that won't hurt you,you will feel fine in a while.TRUST ME.......say to yourself . NO DANGER....NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO DANGER NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO DANGER......NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO DANGER.keep saying it. I remember walking and I felt that I wasn't taking in air,but I didn't stop,I kept going and going coz I knew it was imaginary and that I wouldn't let fear win.I felt dizzy but I kept going and going,then I got nervous but I kept going....and today I am still going.You are stronger than the fear,and you will last longer than it will.I recommend people read Tony Robbins books to help them.He teaches how to change your thoughts and to find the life you deserve.
    Come on People,you can do this.Don't read negative stories about there's no answer.They won't help you,they will encourage negativity.Start small and work your way up and you will be good.If you have never left your house.Walk 2 yards,then when you feel comfortable walk 5,then 10 and keep building and building.Even if you feel you can't go all the way to the shops yet.Do something everyday to help you get freedom from anxiety. Even if it means standing on the doorstep.People who are house bound usually find it bright outside,so just stand at the door for a few minutes and let your eyes adapt to the natural daylight.then you won't feel light headed when you leave. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Gerry

Hiya Gerry

I do agree with what you are saying about keeping doing things and positive pep talks to yourself. This is how I have managed to do things myself.(practice make sperfect with this 'illness')

You are right, people do look for excuses for the simple reason that this 'illness' scares us more than anything. You said yourself that you made excuses too?, How did you feel in yourself when faced with doing things so that you had to make these excuses?...terrified I bet?

Im so glad you are panic free now but you have obviously got to the 'lightbulb' moment where you can say to yourself 'just go do it'!!!, I guess its just a matter of time until the rest of us on here get to that stage but until then weve got to reach our own 'lightbulb' moments and carry on the best we can.

thanks for your post

sarah
    xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution

Hi Gerry,

I think you are correct when stating that in order for us to get better, we all have to get out there and try, not sit at home and pity ourselves. However, I do think you need to realise that it's not as easy for some as it is for others. There isn't one remedy that suits everyone!! You seem to be one of the lucky ones and I'm glad you're better but just remember it's not that simple for everyone...

Sarah (seh1980)

Gerry,

I have read all the above and am trying very hard to remain open minded about what you have said and see your comments as positive.
    You were obviously very lucky to only feel slightly dizzy when you went out and did the things that made you panic. But just out of curiousity, picture this...

You have just attended your Grandma's funeral which was held in a town approximately a 2hr drive from your home. You are the passenger in a car with 3 other people who are all very upset and trying to put brave faces on. You want nothing more than to get home as quickly as possible because you feel sick, your arm pits are dripping with sweat so you cant take your jacket off and your mind is racing because you have an over whelming feeling to scream and cry.
    However you sit in that car, perfectly still, completely quiet and just pray you can keep it together. That's when one of them suggests going for a late lunch in a nearby town.
    My heart began to race, my eye's bulged, my stomach began to churn and I was gasping for air. I wound down the window and stuck my head out, only bringing it back in to try and suggest we eat when we get back, that we should make tracks while the traffic was good and basically was as near to begging as I could be without getting down on my knees.
    However, a call was made to the other two cars in convoy behind us and they all agreed we would meet up in a TFI Friday's restaurant which was about 5miles in the opposite direction.
    Out of control just doesn't do justice to the way I was feeling. I couldn't eat because I could barely swallow, it was like torture, I sat horrified when I saw how big their meals were and became rigid with fear as I worried how long it would take them to eat it. I cried in the toilets most of the time and then after hearing some of the others saying I was selfish for being 'moody' and spoiling it for everyone I sat in the car shaking and rocking.
    I was in such a state that even once we were on the way home I had to have my head out of the window even though it was freezing, I took my boots and socks off to try and cool down, I was unable to talk to anybody because I had gone into a state of shock and had to stop at almost every petrol station because I had diahorrea.

When I got home I barely had the strength to get out the car. Once inside the front door I cried for what must of been HOURS, trying to confort myself by saying out loud 'its ok, you're home now, its ok.'

That was the last time I made that journey and was a turning point in my life for the worse.

I didn't faint or die but do you think if I had taken your advice and done the same journey the next day I would of 'got over it'. Would I??? I can tell you now, if someone had told me that day that I had to make that same journey the following day I would probably of taken my own life.

Caroline - still battling with panic attacks and agoraphobia
    x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information