Thread: SMOKING AND PANIC ATTACKS

SMOKING AND PANIC ATTACKS

In FReaK's introduction posy he mentioned that anxiety attacks could be triggered by something that you are subconsciously not happy with in your life.
    In my case I have been wanting but not trying to give up smoking for some time. I keep moving the goal posts. After my firts panic attack in early July and the health scare it caused me, I promised to give up after returning from holiday in early september. On return from holiday I didn't stop but cut down - during my holiday I had no panic attacks
    and no symptoms and felt great.
    2 days after returning from holiday my anxiety symptoms started and gradually got worse leading to really bad attacks this weekend.
    I am consciously aware that I should give up for so many reasons
    health, heart etc. But finding it difficult whilst being stressed.
    But subconsciously perhaps its because I haven't given up that
    I'm unhappy inside and in panic mode. Its a vicial circle.
    What do you think. Has anyone similar experience.

Lilac

hi lilac i have been on hands and knees with panic attacks since my teens and i am now 37 ,this time last year i had yet another nervous break down normanly brought on by emotional stress i was so ill with stress i have not smoked or drink from this day i told my self if i er=ver have a bad attack again i would give up and i did and has taken me nearly a year to get over the panici had in september last year.my panic attack lasted for 6 hours i was breathing in a paper bag untill i fell asleep with exhaustion .how i cope with stress is to go to my bedroom away from my kids and husband and do some deep breathing until i feel calm even if that follows with losts of tears.i only drink water and camile tea which sounds boring but i had to give up caffine but after a while you dont miss it and feel better for it and that comes from a tea addict.i also use st johns wort ond passiflora so it can be done when time is right take care daisy

anita jane

hi

i desparately want to give up smoking but up to know have failed miserably. i did manage to cut down but that didn't last long. when i feel anxious and panicky i think i need a cigarette to help me calm down. but in reality it has the opposite effect coz they are a stimulant so they don't help at all. i know that when i cut down i did feel so much better for it.
    the doctor did say to me not to try and give up while i'me anxious. but if i felt better just by cutting down imagine how i would feel not smoking at all. i just can't seem to find the willpower though.
    Traceyxxx

Hi Lilac

I felt there was a connection netween smoking and my panic and anxiety. I gave up in July of this year and yes it is hard ........ but it was hard when I smoked worrying about what the fags were doing to me!!! I now feel a bit more positive about my health and that has in turn helped me become less anxious about every ache and pain.

I started off using patches (but only for 3 weeks) and then turned to acupuncture which I felt was really helpful. I was a big smoker so I feel that if I can do it, anyone can. My friends and family still can't believe I have given it up!!!

Good luck
    Kay

Lilac

I was a heavy smoker from the age of 16 until I quit last summer at the age of 28. Throughout my career as a smoker I'd tried to quit many, many times. The only time it ever worked was when I accepted the fact that I was never going to smoke again. Ever. Not even a drag. I used to go 4/6 months without smoking only to think it would be alright to have a sly one when I was out with mates. These sly ones soon end up catching up with you and before you know it, you're smoking again.

The sooner you come to terms with the fact that you will never smoke again, the easier it will be. If you hold onto the thought that one day it might be alright to have one again, you will never quit.

I can remember the exact date of my last cigarette: July 28th 2005. It was the last day of my summer holiday in Turkey. I don't miss smoking one little bit now.

If you want it bad enough, you'll do it mate.

We all know the harmful effects smoking has on our bodies. We'd be idiots to try and deny it. I used to worry about cancer every day I smoked. As you can imagine this didn't do my anxiety any favours, and I imagine it will be the same with you.

4 years ago my therapist suggested I try Chamomile Tea to help chill me out. I still sip it daily (in fact I'm having one now!). You might want to try it sometime. Oh, and cut out the caffine as well (be it coffee or fizzy drinks) that stuff will cause you all kinds of problems.

Feel free to PM me if you think I can help.

Hi, i too gave up smoking because they were making my attacks worse and more frequent. i also quit caffeine and now drink only herbal teas. i can tell u that it does help. i still occasionally get mild panic but nothing like before. although u should definitely quit, u have to expect to have a few stressed out episodes in the process which will probably make u anxious. withdrawal from caffiene alone can cause strange symptoms. just be aware of this and don't let it woory u. it is completely normal. u have to remember you body has been used to getting its fix several times a day, every day. u are bound to get tetchy, anxious, headches etc. when u deny your body what it's used to. but it will pass. and once it has, you can look forward to a much healthier life and the most important thing in our case, PIECE OF MIND!
    you also mentioned that it's hard to quit when u're stressed. apart from the panic, what is stressing you out? make sure u're taking time out to relax. i find that hot baths and exercise work wonders. good luck!

Hi Lilac
    2 of my panic episodes happened when I was really unhappy, the first time when I had bulimia and the second time when I was unhappy at work. In between these times I've been content and not had any panic or anxiety symptoms, so maybe they can be triggered by being unhappy.
    Good luck with giving up smoking - have you tried accupuncture, it worked for a friend of mine.
    Love Helen

I had my first panic attack in 2003, I was a heavy smoker and the attack was all about not being able to breathe properly i couldnt smoke from then on unless I was drinking beer, I still am the same way If i have a beer at 7 am i can have a smoke but if i have a beer at 10pm then i can have one, wierd ay

Thank you all for your replies. It has encouraged me to really
    try to give up. I'm so dissapointed in myself. I made a promise that when I start a new job I will do so as a non-smoker and I will do this. So fed up with being the smoker out in the cold wind and rain and look forward to not worrying if the restaurant allows smoking or looking for the smoking section.
    I'm managing fine without my caffeine fix, haven't had any bad headaches so not sure if had any withdrawal symptoms difficult to tell
    as having so many other weird symptoms.
    My latest deadline is to give up on my daughters birthday which is
    next Saturday. She is coming home for the weekend and we are having
    a big family lunch. would like to surprise them all. I'm the only smoker left now, everyone else has given up.
    So one week to go till D day - I hope I can find the strength to do it.

Thread Information