Thread: Getting a little desperate

Getting a little desperate

Hi, I started a new job about 18 months ago. After some months I realised I was being bullied by a senior member of staff, and took it up with my manager. In September 2012 I was off work for two weeks with stress and on my return made complaint about bullying. As a result of this I was told that my complaint would be taken up with the individual who would be advised what was problematic about her behaviour. However, the bully went on sick leave before the complaint was taken up with her and the so the organisations did not deal with it. However, despite her being on sick leave she still continued to be in contact both directly and indirectly with me via email. Also as a result of the bullying I have become very behind on a major project I am responsible for. As up to now I have been highly successful in my career and always completed work on time this has been utterly demoralising. At the beginning of this year I ended up on sick leave again as a result of this situation. I started a phased return to work about 3 weeks ago but despite all the assurances given before hand, the bully is still emailing me, and I am having to deal with work that was not part of phased return to work agreement - feel managers have washed hands of situation. I am now at my wits end- cannot see how I can continue at work but if I go sick how will I get another job? I worked so hard to get where I am in my career but feel absolutely desperate that it is being taken away from me. I cannot see how I can turn this situation around- has anyone else managed to in similar situation?

Re: Getting a little desperate

Jonquil
    Have you spoken to HR again because they should have investigated your complaint and given you the outcome. Show HR the e-mails. If they are nasty I would also have a word with the police as they appear to be upsetting you and are making you unwell.
    If you find you are getting nowhere with your employers and they are being unfair, you could contact ACAS and they will give you advice. It is confidential.

Hi, thanks. The problem is that my employer has an odd system where you make an informal complaint first which is what I did, so it does not get investigated at this stage. My employer has third highest levels of bullying and work related stress in sector according to Union survey- presumably because they have become so adept at not dealing with complaints. Bullying is of subtle nature- not direct threats so cannot take to police. HR seem to have washed their hands of situation. Even GP says he thinks I have case for constructive dismissal but the trouble is I am feeling so unwell that the last thing I feel like doing is starting a legal case. All I want to do is get out but feel I am in cleft stick- if I go sick again I will have trouble getting a new job but if I don't go sick- well am not sure what will happen, but at times starting to feel really quite fearful.

Jonquil
    I'm so sorry you are going through this - it is completely unacceptable. I understand how difficult it is to be motivated when you are physically and mentally drained but I really would urge you to push HR to address the situation. Request a formal meeting and explain how you have been made to feel (write things down before the meeting so you can refer to your notes and present any evidence if you can - like highlighting an extract from an email and explaining to HR how this affected you).

Are you a union member? Is there rep you could contact to help you?

I agree with Flori - acas is a good organisation for advice in workplace situations.

Please try and preserve with resolving this otherwise the bully wins. I know how difficult it is. I work for a very small organisation and a few years ago there was a colleague who was making life hell for almost everyone but in particular three of us who had previously been her friends. It got to the point that I was eating my lunch in my car rather than the office and at least 4 members of staff were looking for new jobs based on this lady's actions! A number of complaints were made with our directors and although they said it would be addressed, they themselves didn't know how to handle this employee. Luckily she resigned before things got much worse but if she hadn't I would have had to pursue things further for my own health and sanity!

Sorry I'm not sure if that's much help but I just really want to encourage you to push for your rights.

Wishing you all the best,
    J x

Thanks. Yes Union rep is good but has been away. He should be back in the next day or so and will talk to him about how to pursue this. I find it hard to believe how poor Management and HR are being and often start to think it must be something about me. But I know it is not and my Department is really under staffed due to people leaving because of bullying and others have made complaints which have not been dealt with either. Will speak to ACAS too.

Thanks again.

Thread Information