Thread: To or not to increase dosage??

To or not to increase dosage??

I am on the 5th week of 10mg Citalopram for a second time, still feel down. I really have not been sleeping well at all during this time some nights not sleeping at all. Am not sure whether the reason i'm still feeling down is because i have not been sleeping or because the dosage needs to be increased or if Citalopram is working for me now?? Any suggestions if i should wait a little longer on 10mg as that was all i was on the first time around and it worked very well for me at only 10mg then. The second time around citalopram seems to take a lot longer to start working. Also if i need to go up to 20mg is it best to go straight up or take it 10mg then 20mg on alternate days?

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

How hard is it going from 10 to 20 i really don't want to feel any more down doing so? Thanks

Re: To or not to increase dosage??

I'm getting real concerned now as i am beyond tired getting anxious at bedtime to get to sleep. My doctor prescribed me propranolol 40mg for my anxiety mainly because i'm very concerned of all the sleep i'm missing and can't seem to relax to sleep. I have not got highblood pressure if anything i feel the cold and have an underactive thyroid these propranolol treat over active thyroid and high blood pressure. I hope these tablets will not slow my heartrate down too much. Anyone know about Propranolol will it help me relax to sleep??

Sorry to hear you are going through this rough time. I really don't know about the effects of propanalol apart from lowering blood pressure. I went from 20mg to 30mg of cit with no problems, but am struggling now I am 40mg but have only been on this dose since Saturday - but, last night i hardly slept at all and feel rubbish today.

What does your doctor say about the side effects you are getting, has he told you to stick with it?

I was taking Propanolol for a few weeks and they done nothing for me, so I was put on Citalopram.

Thank you guys i only took one propranolol on Sunday morning 40mg. I decided for the last two days to take 20mg citalopram (because my mood was not lifting) 2 10's couple of hours apart. I'm basically getting no sleep have lost a lot of weight. Just tried to go for a short walk to the park and could hardly make it so exhausted. Just want to feel better again. Main thing at the moment is no energy. Just want to feel better again. I'm not sure but i don't think it's a good idea to take a propranolol when this tired also i have shortness of breath.

Hi, I'm Karen and I have been prescribed Citalopram 3 times in the last ten years. I think you will be much better on 20mg's as that is meant to the therapeutic dose but not sleeping is sadly a side effect I got too every single time so had to take sleeping pills for a while. But you do eventually sleep naturally, it will take a little time but the more the Citalopram helps get you well again, the more relaxed u will feel to sleep naturally.
    I took Prop too last year but it didn't really help with sleep, I think it did help with my anxiety at times though ,not greatly but it def took the edge off for me.
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by karenp View Post
    Hi, I'm Karen and I have been prescribed Citalopram 3 times in the last ten years. I think you will be much better on 20mg's as that is meant to the therapeutic dose but not sleeping is sadly a side effect I got too every single time so had to take sleeping pills for a while. But you do eventually sleep naturally, it will take a little time but the more the Citalopram helps get you well again, the more relaxed u will feel to sleep naturally.
    I took Prop too last year but it didn't really help with sleep, I think it did help with my anxiety at times though ,not greatly but it def took the edge off for me.
    xxxx
    Thank you Karen for your encouraging words. Sleep is deff a biggie as one of the things we have to go through it would be so much easier if we felt rested. My doctor won't give me anymore sleeping tablets so i'm pretty stuck at the moment. I have recently started on 20mg. I have only taken one proprandolol after a while left me feeling incredibly relaxed that day and the next but did make me feel cold i have under active thyroid and deff do not have high blood pressure. Nice to share our experiences.

Thread Information