Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress Report After 11 Weeks

Re: Progress Report After 11 Weeks

Hi Laheed.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your post!

Firstly, I am very sorry to hear about your bereavement and burn out! I'm really glad that the Sertraline is helping you through such tough times.

Your post have given me a lot of hope and I am really pleased that I seemed to be following your path to recovery. I know that everybody is different and things might turn out differently for us, but its nice to know that I seem to be heading in the right direction. Your definitely right that the thoughts recede first and a battle takes place. Everyday I feel that the tablets are edging closer to winning that battle. I'm finding it more difficult to get upset about the things I used to. Even in the mornings which are always the hardest. I did get down this weekend being a sunny bank holiday and feeling trapped and lonely but nowhere near as down as I would have done without the tablets.

Your right about the lag with the physical symptoms as well. I think that you get so used to the physical symptoms that you expect them to happen even if your thoughts are elsewhere. Its like a involuntary reaction. It might take a little while to adjust to having less negative thoughts and not automatically developing the physical symptoms. Of course, like you say in the meantime expecting the physical symptoms is enough to bring on the anxiety.

I like to think of the tablets as a crutch. They give you the strength to get out there and make changes to your life. If you can flood your head with positive thoughts as well from therapy, hypnotherapy etc then soon enough thought patterns should change. The tablets will stop you automatically reverting to the negative thoughts and the talking therapy can then fill the empty space where the negative thoughts used to be with positive thoughts. Or so i'd like to think .

Once things start to go right and experience good days the positive vibes and confidence should build and snowball.

I have actually had quite a positive day today. There were two reasons for me starting this thread really. Firstly to let others know of my experiences and secondly to keep a record so I can see how far I have progressed over the weeks. Given the state I was in a few months ago, being neutral now is a huge step forward.

Thanks again and hope you have had a good day!

A bit tired and in a daze today. I had to go out and get petrol for my car and my anxiety was better from being in a zombie state (although i'm not sure if my driving skills benefited as much). I built a flat pack piece of furniture last night and my concentration and ability to approach it methodically was much improved on how it would have been before the tablets. I would always rush through things, be very impatient and do the typical man thing of not bothering with the instructions. Yesterday I took it slowly and calmly and worked my way through it. And I didn't even get frustrated or annoyed with it lol.

I can say at this point that even though I have experienced huge changes yet I certainly wouldn't like to stop taking them and go back to how I was. I am very glad I started them.

One thing I'm not sure about though. I went in the sun the other day and have developed quite large sun spots. This has never happened before. I think it might be wise to be careful in the sun when on Setraline (well I should be more careful anyway).

Have felt pretty low this afternoon. Lonely, sad about the state of my life and worried about the future. Negative thoughts have come through more than they have for a while. Had some dark thoughts. But I can feel the tablets trying to fight them at least. Not sinking quite as low as did before them. Disappointedd also that couldnt answer the phone before.

Wow I'm tired this week. Want to sleep a lot which isn't great. Hoping this will wear off soon. I am starting to care less about things more and more and so the anxiety is starting to drop. Might finally be getting a decent level into my body. The last couple of days the bad thoughts weren't being controlled as much which got me down. Today they seem a little better.

6 weeks into 100mg now. Have more energy and a little more motivated. The tiredness seems to have passed.

Depression does seem to be lifting and starting to feel more positive about things. The main thing that has improved is my ability to concentrate. The intrusive and obsessing thoughts have calmed down a huge amount.

At the moment the anxiety is no better at all which is disappointing but hopefully that will change the next couple of weeks. I found myself hiding by the sofa when the doorbell went the other day which got me down a bit.

Overall though a better week.

Hi Maro,

Thank-you for posting about your progress. I'm glad to hear you're sensing some improvement, and I admire you for sticking with it. I hope it continues to help in some way. I get the impression this isn't going to be a straightforward journey, and I've found myself losing heart a bit the last few days. But you've helped me feel like I should stick with it!

I'm into my 5th week on 50mg. Overall the sert has helped me think more clearly, I feel in less of a fog and that I can cope with the big waves when they come. Initial side effects were very varied, some grinding and palpitations, but overall a feeling of well-being and I noticed my negative emotions didn't feel as extreme. Gave my doc a glowing report a week ago. My self-harming thoughts stopped almost immediately, so felt like I was on my way!! So much so that I had a few drinks at the weekend as I was feeling more stable about everything. Over-ambitious, I feel like I've been crumbling for 3 days now! But this is a bump in the road. The tabs have definitely given me a feeling of head space to be able tackle things like CBT a bit more effectively. For all that I felt like I made a good start you've reminded me that this is going to be a longer term thing, and that I shouldn't be in a rush, and that the tabs, as you said, are not the solution but part of the support plan. So maybe it's not back to the drawing board but time to note the positives, cos there are some improvements, I just need to build on them. No problem... Best of luck!!

Hi Door

I'm glad you have decided to stick with it. It really is easy to lose heart and think that it will never work. It's reading other people posts that has kept me going as well. Unfortunately there are a number of negative posts about Sertraline but these are usually from people who suffered such bad side effects that they couldn't stand them anymore or those that simply didn't give them enough time to work, which is a shame really.

One thing that might be relevant to how you have felt the last few days is that I have read other people saying that after drinking on Sertraline they have felt really down and anxious the next few days. Unfortunately I don't think the two mix very well. Even if its not the alcohol, it will just be a bump in the road as you say. The full effects of a dose are usually felt by 8 weeks or so and most side effects should be gone by then. I am still a bit edgy and not able to relax fully, but at the same time i'm not getting as anxious about certain things ( I would even get really anxious about being sick straight after the tablet so it wouldn't work).

If 50mg is the right dose for you then over the next 2-3 weeks you should gradually feel better and better. I know you wont, but please don't give up until you have given it the full 8 weeks and take heart from the improvements you have already made

Today I went out to the shops with my mum. I have been a lot happier today..laughing and joking. I even talked to the butcher for ages about Everton. This is compared to a couple of weeks ago when I wouldn't even go into the shop with my mum (the butcher is really nice but an extrovert to say the least which intimidated me). I couldn't face proper social situations yet but in a couple of weeks..who knows?

I am definitely not over thinking stuff as much and the obsessive thoughts are all but gone. They don't hang around at all now. I am in a bit of a daze but I think that might be down to not sleeping enough as well.

Overall I am feeling happier, smiling more, a bit more social. Obsessive thoughts have been greatly reduced and anxiety is slowly getting there.

Hi,

Definitely stick with it people…..!

They have helped lift my depression and have started to slightly improve with my anxiety.

People around me have noticed a difference even if I have not and my doctor said that I have colour back in my face and I’m talking more confident and calmer.

We are still going to get bad days with good days but when we have a good day, it does feel nice LOL.

Red

That's awesome Red!

Again from reading other people experiences, Sertraline takes a little longer to work on anxiety, so improvements will be seen on the depression side first.

Hi Maro,

I have been prescribed Sertraline for anxiety, OCD (Pure O?) and depression.
    I have now been taking it for 9 weeks, 1 day (not that I'm counting!) and don't reallly think it is helping much as my anxiety is still really bad, especially in the mornings.

I have been taking the highest dose 200 mg for the last 4 weeks and am beginning to wonder if it will ever help a little, although I have definitely found my sleep has improved and I generally feel better in the evenings and can relax and watch telly in bed and then sleep, which I couldn't do before I started it. I have been told by a doctor that it could take up to 12 weeks to begin to work, and I think I have read on this site that people can take up to six months to feel better. I don't want to bail out, because just being able to sleep is great, but still have high anxiety and obsessive worries constantly which is severely affecting my life.

I wonder what your thoughts on this might be. I have been reading your posts with interest and found them very helpful and hopeful. I sincerely hope you continue to improve and wish you well.

Kind regards

J xxxxx

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information