Thread: Acne scars?

Acne scars?

Does anyone else out there have scars from acne? I had terrible acne for about 10 years and finally have it under control. However, as a result, I have just about every scar imaginable (not just red marks but pitted/rolling scars). It's horrible and really effects my self esteem and though I've lived with it a long time, it makes it hard to apply for jobs, be around strangers (especially children), or even make new friends because I just feel like I look terrible all the time.

I have seen a dermatologist in the past and she mentioned having a chemical peel when my acne cleared up. I know there are a few other options as well, though I'll probably have to pay out-of-pocket for them, I do think it's a good investment.

However, I am absolutely terrified of making the appointment! (or even mentioning to my parents that I want to). I'm afraid that they are going to take one look at me and think it's a lost cause - and I'm afraid my parents think it's a lost cause too. I'm not expecting porcelain skin, I think that ship has sailed, I just want to see what my options are to get a little bit of confidence back.

Has anyone out there been down this road?

Re: Acne scars?

Hi Poppy
    It's your life, not your parents. I'd say go for it. You clearly aren't expecting miracles and that is a good attitude. Anything that can give you a bit of confidence back has got to be worth it.

Smile Re: Acne scars?

I sort of know what you've been through. I had horrible acne for about three years in my late teens. I've now got in under control but did have some moderate scarring which affected my confidence. I hide my acne scarring with make up. Lucky after six months of being acne free my scarring has reduced dramatically.

I don't know anything about chemical peels for acne scarring but if I were you I would do a lot of research before committing. I've also heard about laser treatment for acne scarring. When I had acne I used a very good support website which is acne.org. The website also has an acne scar forum which has information about acne scarring and treatments. I understand how hard it is but you can't let the scarring determine how you live! I would say if the scarring is affecting the way you live then definitely get some form of treatment. I would however suggest researching all the available treatment for acne scarring.

All the best.

Re: Acne scars?

Hi guys,
    You are definitely not alone. I still have acne scars, and I agree that they lower self esteem etc. However, I think its also really important to explore every option out there. I use a Neutrogena product for my acne, and it has been reducing my scars overtime. I have been using it for almost a year, and they have definitely cleared up nicely. You also have to remember not to pop pimples! That is what leaves nasty scars. I know its hard not to though. Makeup clogs your pores, and can actually increase the amount of acne you have, so I would really avoid that. I'm sure this chemical peel will work, but its important to think about things like cost. Its must cheaper to use a product from a drugstore, like I do, which works great! I would try that out first.
    Hope I helped

Thread Information