Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had loads of time off work?

Anyone had loads of time off work?

I have been off work for 7 weeks, up until last week was (I thought) on the way to recovery and was doing well and was supposed to go to work on Thursday this week. But, on Friday I had a massive anxiety attack and am now back to square one, not eating, anxious, ill, don't want to go out.

I am really worried about work, they haven't said anything but I just can't help it, and I just know that I can't go back on Thursday, I can hardly get out of bed!

One good positive thing, HR rang me and gave me the telephone number for a service they use, it is for all sorts of things and is completely confidential and i rang them today and my company will pay for 6 private counselling sessions which they are arranging for me.

Has anyone else had loads of time off, was your company ok? I am just worried they will get rid of me when i go back.....

Re: Anyone had loads of time off work?

Hi there, The doctors have just sign me off for two weeks but I feel bad about let people down. I could not cope with work at moment, I feel so low and worry everything. I am on some tablets but just want to happy. How do you get through?
    Tim

Hi Tim, sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time. I just take one day at a time, I am trying at the moment to get the right dosage of my tablets right, my doctor keeps changing it which I don't think is helping.

What tablets has your doctor given you? Most anti depressants take a few weeks, sometimes longer to work.

I am on venlafaxine and have start take propranolol hydrochloride as well. Just hope they work.

Smile Re: Anyone had loads of time off work?

Spot, I had time off at my last job [a couple of weeks] and it was fine when I got back so try not to worry too much. And don't think you are back to the start. Have you tried keeping a diary? [says she who doesn't]. It might help to chart improvements.

True I'm not at my last job anymore - the stress of teaching full time really got to me. I supply teach now and really enjoy this role.

Take care Teresa

I was off for over 6 months 10 years ago and the after an accident last June I was off again. The injury from the accident triggered my anxiety and although my work was supportive I felt under pressure to go back. In the end I decided to leave to give myself time to recover. I was assessed by ATOS and qualify for ESA which is helping me until I am well enough to work again.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot-the-frog View Post
    I have been off work for 7 weeks, up until last week was (I thought) on the way to recovery and was doing well and was supposed to go to work on Thursday this week. But, on Friday I had a massive anxiety attack and am now back to square one, not eating, anxious, ill, don't want to go out.

I am really worried about work, they haven't said anything but I just can't help it, and I just know that I can't go back on Thursday, I can hardly get out of bed!

One good positive thing, HR rang me and gave me the telephone number for a service they use, it is for all sorts of things and is completely confidential and i rang them today and my company will pay for 6 private counselling sessions which they are arranging for me.

Has anyone else had loads of time off, was your company ok? I am just worried they will get rid of me when i go back.....
    I had 5 weeks off and it is difficult as you can spend your time off worrying about not being in! Counter productive really. I have been off in the past and felt guilty and gone back before I was better. This time I didn't go back before I was feeling better. It was still hard mind you! At the end of day they want you back in ASAP soyou have to look after yourselfand go back when youfeel ready.

My company will pay for 6 sessions of counselling as well, they probably use the same company. Just be aware if they think you may need more than 6 sessions they may not let you have any sessions as you could be mid therapy when your sessions finish. I ended up going private (with the same therapist my company uses!!) as the company that provides the counselling felt I needed more than 6 sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessie28 View Post
    Spot, I had time off at my last job [a couple of weeks] and it was fine when I got back so try not to worry too much. And don't think you are back to the start. Have you tried keeping a diary? [says she who doesn't]. It might help to chart improvements.

True I'm not at my last job anymore - the stress of teaching full time really got to me. I supply teach now and really enjoy this role.

Take care Teresa
    I am thinking about doing supply work when I am well enough.

Hi Annie, honestly it has done wonders for my confidence and most of the time I get a real buzz. I have wobbles but who doesn't? Get in touch when you are feeling up to it - I work for a really good agency who took me on knowing I have anxiety issues and are really supportive.
    take care Teresa

I had six months off in total with severe anxiety and depression several years ago now and did go back in the end. I got the support of my Union rep to go to the HR meetings. I was on a phased return which helped to an extent to get used to being back in the workplace.

It sounds as though your company is putting supportive measures in place for you, so that's all very positive. Do they have an Occupational Health department who can assess if you're ready to go back to your regular job or what can be done to support you back to work? Sending supportive thoughts to you x it's difficult when you feel that you've taken a step back x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information