Thread: awful feeling in base of skull

awful feeling in base of skull

This has happened on and off for some years, maybe only once or twice a year. But this morning it happened again for the second time in a couple of weeks.
    I was perfectly relaxed, not even out of bed - sitting up watching birds through window - suddenly the feeling hit me. You know when you bang your funny bone, you get that vibration down your arm? Well it is the same feeling, at base of my skull - not just a dizzy feeling, an actual physical vibration that lasts about 5 -10 seconds. Absolutely horrible. No pain, I didn't twist or move oddly, just comes completely out of the blue. It affects me for ages afterwards because I am wondering if it will happen again and it's really scary. Does anyone relate to this? It's really bothering me, I'm noticing every tiny feeling in my head and I can't speak to the doctor about it till tomorrow. Would love to hear from anyone who can help.

Re: awful feeling in base of skull

Sounds like it could be neck tension...the neck muscles go right round the head and they are all affected by anxiety. Does it help to massage it a bit? Should be ok till you see the doctor

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

I agree with Pancho this definitely sounds like tension! I'm a tension headache sufferer too so can sympathise. It could also be an ice pick headache? Although I'm not sure they affect the back of the head. Even so, they're short, sharp and really painful but completely harmless!

That's interesting, I've never heard of an icepick headache but I have had these before, like an intense point of pain on the side of my head. Thanks for mentioning that, I know what they were now

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Am seeing doctor this morning - just spoke to her on phone and I think I've really puzzled her. There is no pain with it, no headache afterwards, just this awful numbing vibration thing that makes me feel like I'm falling, though I'm not! Sounds really stupid, but it's horrible when it happens.

i can relate to this... i often get problems with my neck and it does sound like tension, i would get this really weird tingly, twitchy kind of feeling on the side of my neck or the base of my neck, i did have it all when i was having problems with my anxiety, there could be a link there hope i helped a little

Thanks for all your replies, it does help to put things in perspective!
    I have just been to the doctor, who was really lovely. The first thing she asked was if there was anything I was afraid it might be - I was really worried about stroke/tumour - and she put my mind at rest about that. She did some neuro tests and although she couldn't say exactly what was going on she was sure it wasn't dangerous - most likely a sudden nerve flare-up. If anything changes or gets worse, come back and see her again. Made me feel reassured, she said she was glad I had gone to see her. What a lovely doctor! Feel much better now.

Thread Information